Haralson

Moderator: appledude

Julieappleseed

Haralson

Post by Julieappleseed »

Haralson because they make excellent apple crisps and pies every time! Combination of sweet/tart flavor, crisp, keep well in frig during winter months. :D Julie
casey

Post by casey »

Another variety which I've never even heard of :(

I looked it up in this website's special "Varieties" section, and I like the photo and description very much.

Are Harelsons sold in big-city supermarkets? Or is it something that you have to get from a local farmer's market?

Thanks so much for the wealth of nformation here. This is one fabulous website :) It has made me want to try new kinds of apples this year!
Julieappleseed

Haralson

Post by Julieappleseed »

Hi. I live in Minnesota. I purchase at a local apple orchard in autumn. I've also seen them in Minnesota grocery stores in autumn. Sorry I don't know about distribution and availability in other states. Maybe your local grocer or somebody else may know. :) Julie
LEB

Post by LEB »

I have good "vibes" about this apple although I have never tasted one. It is one of those "gut feeling" things which I am going on and, accordingly, I will be planting several trees this spring. It was one of the first releases from the U of MN way back in the early 20s. It is the "child" of Malinda and Wealthy

Malinda, BTW, is the grandparent of the Keepsake apple which, in turn, has been established (via DNA technology) to have parented the famed famed Honeycrisp apple. "Dad" for Honeycrisp is unknown...hmmmmm.

Here is an interesting website which talks about some of the famous U of MN apples. Check out the side link on Peter Gideon who started it all.

http://www.minnesotaharvest.net/apple_malinda.htm

BTW the patent on Honeycrisp runs out in 2008 (not sure which month) after which it can be legally propagated without royalty payment.
ciderman

Re: Haralson

Post by ciderman »

I picked a box of these at a U-Pick orchard north of Idaho Falls, Idaho about 2 years ago. It is the only time I have seen these, and they are very good. I thought they were very tasty, and seems like they would make great pie and cider. Based on that, I planted a young Haralson in my new orchard. I plan on using it mostly as a base for sweet and hard cider.