PLEASE help me find this apple in Canada.

Moderator: appledude

DavidVincent

PLEASE help me find this apple in Canada.

Post by DavidVincent »

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this wonderful site.

After spending 3 years in Central France I have grown very fond of an apple over there that they refer to as a pomme Belchard Chantecler. I just recently moved back to Canada and I miss the acid/sweet taste of this apple. Here is a website that sells the tree (located in the UK and they don't ship to canada)

http://www.planfor.fr/buy,apple-tree-be ... list,EN,10

Here is a description of the apple:

http://www.museum.agropolis.fr/english/ ... tecler.htm

Some say that this apple also has a variation in Australia called the Pineapple russet. If anyone has any information about this apple and any ideas where I can find in London ontario Canada (or even order a tree here) I would greatly appreciate it. thank you.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

OrangePippin-Scott
Site Admin

Re: PLEASE help me find this apple in Canada.

Post by OrangePippin-Scott »

Here's the info I have on Pineapple (or Pine Apple) Russet, but I am not aware of any nurseries offering.

UK 1730 ancestry. Definite pineapple flavor, sweet yet plenty of acidity, firm, pale yellow flesh. Fruit medium sized or below, roundish conical. Skin yellow with faint striping, russeted, especially around cavity. Can be dry, flavorless, very tough course skin. Picked in early-mid season.

Apples of New York references this apple as a synonym to Perry Russet and the descriptions there seem similar. If that is the case (anybody got any additional verification?) Maple Valley Orchards in Wisconsin USA does carry this Perry Russet: http://www.maplevalleyorchards.com/Pages/ScionWood.aspx
okeefe

Post by okeefe »

Greetings David..I happen to live in Ontario near Owen Sound and I have a heritage apple orchard which happens to have your apple growing in it. It is called pineapple reinette. I custom graft these trees for my customers along with my other 115 or so varieties. Every Thanksgiving weekend we have an apple tasting at our farm store. This year we had 54 varieties with their histories. We sell the apples for the month of October, custom graft the trees, and press the leftovers into cider during November. Everyone is welcome for the free weekend event. I should mention that the trees sell for $30.00 each.
Regards
Bill O'Keefe
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I think this is Ananas Reinette. From the Apples of Antiquity web site "Russet freckles over gold skin. Crisp and juicy with intense sweet, sharp flavor, developing the pineapple flavor late in the season (its name means pineapple russet). Good for eating fresh, cooking and juice." can be found at http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.p ... ucts_id=19

Mine has been in the ground its second season now and is flowering. I am trying to hand pollinate the flowers because I am looking forward to trying this apple myself.

Cheers! Mike
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I will post pictures this autumn after my first four apples on ananas reinette ripen!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch