New apple trees

Moderator: appledude

quadracer316

New apple trees

Post by quadracer316 »

I recently planted a dwarf Jonathan and a full size Fuji apple tree, I planted them about 20 feet apart. I'm just looking for some helpful tips on general care for the newly planted trees. Will these trees pollinate each other? I have noticed one dead branch on the fuji, should I cut it off? What is a good rule of thumb for fertilizing newly planted fruit trees, I have heard both yes and no. The Jonathan has been doing well, it bloomed about 2 weeks ago. I have not seen the Fuji bloom yet. I live in IL. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
appledude

Re: New apple trees

Post by appledude »

quadracer316 wrote:I recently planted a dwarf Jonathan and a full size Fuji apple tree, I planted them about 20 feet apart. I'm just looking for some helpful tips on general care for the newly planted trees. Will these trees pollinate each other?

You could try looking at pollenation charts at this link. If they do not bloom at the same times, there may be other apples in your neighborhood that could do the job. Bees don't care much about property lines and fences!

I have noticed one dead branch on the fuji, should I cut it off?

Summer is a good time to do that. The old saying is that you should only prune when your clippers are sharp. (tongue in cheek joke!)

What is a good rule of thumb for fertilizing newly planted fruit trees, I have heard both yes and no.

Well, you could fertilize lightly the first summer with half strength fertilizer or something. How do you know your ground is really deficient though?

If you notice that they grow 6-12 inches the first season, you might consider leaving them alone.

Hope that helps!
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

Jonathan and Fuji should cross-pollinate well, they flower at roughly the same time.
markarock

Post by markarock »

I came here today to post the question--"should newly planted apple trees be fertilized?" I found that quadracer316 beat me to it. He asked:

"What is a good rule of thumb for fertilizing newly planted fruit trees..." As he observed, some say yes while others say no.

So I did a bit or research before I began typing. I found this information from Stark Bro's., which I knew advocated feeding newly planted trees with their special fertilizer:

Their "IMPORTANT READ THIS FIRST!" sheet says that for bare root trees: "4. Water and fertilize. Mix 2-3 gallons of water with Stark Tre-Prep Fertilizer. Pour onto soil above the roots."

Their GUIDE TO SUCCESSFUL PLANTING AND GROWING explains, "This effective starter fertilizer helps trees and plants grow quickly and vigorously....Fruit trees require fertile soil for good growth. If the soil pH where you plant your tree is 6.0-7.0, you're in good shape. Take a look at the established trees and plants around the site. If they look healthy and are growing well, just follow the recommended fertilization program for your fruit trees."

Their Growing Tips For Your Success advises: "Fertilize For Faster Growth. At the early stage in a plant's life it's important to give the plant no more fertilizer than it can effectively utilize. Stark Tre-Prep Fertilizer is great for young trees. It's water-soluble. Three evenly spaced feedings between planting time and July 1st are sufficient for the tree's first year. After trees come into bearing, apply Stark Orchard Fertilizer regularly."

I haven't had time to research other nurseries and their recommendations. But I seem to recall others advising against fertilizing.

It makes sense to have a soil test done to see whether your soil needs fertilizer or not.

My working theory, absent research, is that bare root trees need to be challenged, and that they will grow a stronger, larger, more vigorous root system if they have to "hunt" for food, rather than finding all of it in the planting hole. Based upon this theory, and in recognition that my mature fruit trees are doing fine, I did not use any fertilizer for the bare root trees I planted this year. They seem healthy and are growing well.

I guess I'm curious to know two things:

Should new bare root trees be fertilized the first year?

If not, is my theory about challenging the roots to grow in search of food accurate?

Mark
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

We are often asked this question. My view is that the best way to look after fruit trees is benevolent neglect. Keep them watered for sure, but don't over-feed them. Look after them, of course, but don't spoil them. Certainly do not over-enrich the planting hole, because you want the roots to search outwards, not stay within the hole. If in doubt, don't do anything!

Two things that I do think are important though: firstly, in almost all cases you should cut back a new bare-root tree after planting; secondly put a generous mulch around the tree to keep in moisture and suppress competing weeds.