Embergo?

Moderator: appledude

otma1918

Embergo?

Post by otma1918 »

Hi, I searched for this (all over the net actually) and have so far found pretty much nothing. I was very happy to find this site and forum!

Has anyone heard of an apple labeled "Embergo"? I have only ever found this apple at one place- but I have found it there consistently. I saw it last just this past weekend, so it has to be in season or at least in stores now. The place I saw it is a farmer's market of kinds, more an international market really. It is an actual store though, not to be confused with the other kind of farmer's markets where there are actual farmers. The problem I'm having is the absolute lack of any mention of this "Embergo" anywhere. I have my suspicions that the name as listed may be a mistranslation or horribly mangled attempt at English bu a non-English speaker (think of a sign labeled Red Glove grapes when it should say Red Globe grapes, that kind of thing). But without knowing for sure and not having any other resources to go on, I'm stuck.

Anybody able to help out or at least point me in the right direction?
appledude

Re: Embergo?

Post by appledude »

Could it be that someone got told "this apple is embargo'd" meaning, please don't share this apple scion with anybody? Then that person thought the name of the apple was "Embargo" but is a really poor speller?

LOL That is a wild shot!

Nothing on google or the national repository corresponds with that name.
otma1918

Post by otma1918 »

Well, at least I feel better about not being able to find any information at all about this one. I am gonna have to ask at the store if someone knows the correct name. But here's the kicker, I could have sworn that the apple actually had the name "Embergo" on the PLU sticker. But, not having any handy, I couldn't verify that right now.
otma1918

Post by otma1918 »

I RETURN TRIUMPHANT!!! Two years almost to the day (since I found the answer yesterday, on Aug. 2nd), I got my answer. The apple is NOT an Embergo apple, like the sign says. That is either sloppy work by the store staff or more likely, misunderstanding/mistranslation by the staff (as very few of them speak fluent English). The name is actually Emergo. It is a New Zealand variety, based on the few mentions I've seen both online in general when searching for that name and by using the website printed on the PLU sticker, www.produceofNewZealand.org. It seems one of the "contributing exporters" listed on that website (seems to be an industry trade group type of website) is for Bearsley Farms, which is also the first result that comes up in a google search of "emergo apple variety". It's also one of the only results that isn't simply a sales or exports type page (like alibaba), even many of the other search results seem to only mention "emergo" in a list of "available varieties".

So I think I have finally solved this one.
OrangePippin-Scott
Site Admin

Post by OrangePippin-Scott »

Nice detective work and thanks for letting us know! I haven't seen this apple available in my neck of the woods yet.