Living in France and choosing trees ..

Moderator: appledude

ShelleySpeak

Living in France and choosing trees ..

Post by ShelleySpeak »

Hi to all
Hope you can help me select my apple trees for my verger/orchard (petite!).
My home is northern France, about the midpoint on level with Paris and Geneva in the Haute-Marne region on the Burgundy/Champagne border.
Any recommendations on trees would be great and with winters down to -20 celcius I am guessing we are too extreme for coxs orange pippin?
What should I plant .. At the moment I am looking at belle de boskoop and Reine de reinettes and perhaps estivale ..
Thank you, I am getting confused!
A bientot,
Shelley :-)
OrangePippin-Richard

Re: Living in France and choosing trees ..

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

Bonjour! I think you will be able to grow Cox's Orange Pippin, and most English apple varieties. However you need to find a rootstock that is sufficiently cold-hardy as your winter temperatures might be beyond the regular English Malling and Malling-Merton series rootstocks. I think M26 is considered to be the most cold-hardy. Can you ask your neighbors what rootstocks they use?
ShelleySpeak

Post by ShelleySpeak »

OrangePippin-Richard wrote:Bonjour! I think you will be able to grow Cox's Orange Pippin, and most English apple varieties. However you need to find a rootstock that is sufficiently cold-hardy as your winter temperatures might be beyond the regular English Malling and Malling-Merton series rootstocks. I think M26 is considered to be the most cold-hardy. Can you ask your neighbors what rootstocks they use?

Hey!
Thank u so much for that info.
I will have a chat with My neighbours and see what the choices are. Always best to start at home ..
Merci beaucoup,
Shelley :-)
jonewer

Post by jonewer »

You could try some old cross-channel favourites like Orleans Reinette and Nonpareil.
womblesd

Post by womblesd »

Here in the states, B118 works well in the northern cold climates.
Dan Wombles
Western Illinois, U.S.
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

I have found that at least one Dutch wholesale nursery is propagating the Budagovsky series (B9 and B118) so you may find some trees in local nurseries with these rootstocks.