Honeycrisp Spacing

Moderator: appledude

VistaBellaFarm

Honeycrisp Spacing

Post by VistaBellaFarm »

Howdy all,

I'm a new member, I live in Nova Scotia Canada and am planting a medium sized orchard (5 or so acres) over the next few years. I am planning on putting in about 55 x M26, 55 x M111, and 55 x M106, I already have 40 on Bud 9 which are doing quite well but are still only 2 years old.

I'm wondering what people are doing with spacing. I have a fairly large tractor as I'm working vegetable land up as well. Our Kubota 6800 is about 6-7 feet wide. I am trying to hit a somewhat medium density planting. At the moment the plan is roughly 20 feet between rows, and about 8-10 feet betweeen trees. I know that'll be tight on the M111 and M106 but I plan on pruning back heavily and cropping early. The M26 and Bud 9 are certainly safe at that spacing as I've seen densities as high as 600 trees per acre here in the valley of Nova Scotia (our main cropping region).

I want to use an off-set flail mower to mow under the branches and also I'd like to be able to get the tractor between the rows to spray, pull a trailer etc.

Any suggestions on spacings or prunning methods I should try? I don't want to spend the ten thousand dollars required to trellis the entire acre at high density, but I use posts to help get the trees established. This seems to keep the trees in place and prevents the holes around the base of the trunk that develop with wind. We live in a very windy place so we're always conscious about that.

Cheers,

Vista Bella Farm
appledude

Re: Honeycrisp Spacing

Post by appledude »

Did you do any research to arrive at spacings? I have info on that, but not with me right now, it is in a book at home.
Outback Orchard

Post by Outback Orchard »

Depending on soil fetility I would go 14-18' on m111, on m106 slightly closer 12-16, both free standing central leader (stake for the first 3-5 years). M26 growers in my area are spacing in the 8-10' range staking with a top tellis wire, still pruning to central leader.

What are you doing with your bud 9's? Most growers here in the NE (US) are planting tall spindle orchards with them (or any fully dwarfing rootstocks), with 3x11' or 3x12' spacing. I planted an acre to tall spindle, soon to be two, and I don't think I'll ever go with anything else ever agian. A little more expense getting established, but your return on investment is much sooner, more profitable per acre and much easier to care for!

Good luck!
appledude

Post by appledude »

M26 should be anywhere from 5 feet to 12 feet apart within the row, depending on vigor and their should be 12 to 14 feet between rows, according to my Warren Manhart "Apples for the 21st Century" book.

Same book recommends for Bud-9: 5 to 8 feet between trees in the row with 10 to 12 feet between rows. depending on cultivar vigor and soil conditions. Then Manhart gives 50 cultivars which help dial it in, but I don't wanna type out the whole list! -- Maybe tell us what types you are planning on growing.

Why aren't you striving for Ottowa 3 stocks? It is very cold hardy.
Outback Orchard

Post by Outback Orchard »

Just found this tree spacing calculator .......

http://www.umass.edu/fruitadvisor/cleme ... pacing.htm
markt34

Post by markt34 »

Buying a book on tree spacing, hopefully that helps.

Mark
ny orchards
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

My trees that are on M111, two rows, and are spaced about 15-20' apart.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch