Identifying a plum

Moderator: appledude

Hawkspur

Identifying a plum

Post by Hawkspur » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:41 pm

I would like help to identify a plum tree on my property in New Zealand.
I cannot find a similar plum on-line here or on other sites.

It was planted about 60 years ago ~1952
Clingstone
Red blush to light red skin when fully ripe with occasional golden sunburn tint
Thin skin
Only a very slight "bloom" to skin
Yellow to dull yellow soft flesh
Small fruit
Smooth almost perfectly spherical shape
Very sweet
Good flavour
Very juicy
very heavy bearing
Probably self fertile
Fruit is fully ripe in early January (southern hemisphere so early June equivalent for Northern hemisphere)
Plain white blossom with sweet scent

Any ideas?

appledude

Re: Identifying a plum

Post by appledude » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Good chance it is a random seedling if you think it is self fertile. Most of the "built up" cultivars need an outside pollinator. Small fruit and heavy yield help support this view.

I have seen hundreds of acres infested with escaped Myro rootstock seedlings. They are somewhat interesting because they have a whole rainbow of colors and ripening periods, but the taste is usually unremarkable. And the fruit tend to be small.

How does one arrive at escaped rootstock seedlings? The graft union fails, but the myro stock sends out sprouts and eventually the birds and critters spread the resulting fruit seeds around.

Hope that helps!

Hawkspur

Re: Identifying a plum

Post by Hawkspur » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:28 am

Thanks Apple dude.
I believe it was deliberately planted, but possibly from any old source. It is in the garden of what was built as a "state house", which, in New Zealand is government housing.I believe that each house had two fruit trees planted at the time they were built.We also have a peach.