The comprehensive resource for apples and orchards
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Got a question for everyone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Mid Michigan
Hello! I'm looking to start planting some apple trees in my backyard. There is a question I have, though.

I'm looking for an apple to fit my taste. Living in Mid Michigan (zone 5b), there are certain ones that look interesting that probably wouldn't grow (Black Twig for instance) in my climate.

I'll try to describe what i'm looking for, but i'm not entirely sure i'll use the right verbage that apple growers use. I want a large, firm, tart, crisp apple. Think Granny Smith for an example of what I like. Is there anything any of y'all could suggest that fit my taste? It doesn't matter if it needs pollination because i'm going to get some other varieties as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got a question for everyone
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 pm
Posts: 50
Greyt.Chase wrote:
I want a large, firm, tart, crisp apple. Think Granny Smith for an example of what I like.

Does it have to be green? Northwestern Greening is green.

39° — Wind WNW 8 mph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got a question for everyone
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Mid Michigan
Chuck Rhode wrote:
Greyt.Chase wrote:
I want a large, firm, tart, crisp apple. Think Granny Smith for an example of what I like.

Does it have to be green? Northwestern Greening is green.

39° — Wind WNW 8 mph


It can be purple polka dotted for all I care, as long as it's large, firm, crisp, and tart! Thanks for the idea!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got a question for everyone
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 pm
Posts: 50
Greyt.Chase wrote:
It can be purple polka dotted for all I care, as long as it's large, firm, crisp, and tart!

I like Idared a lot. Others think they're too small, too tart, and too "dull." I had my first crop this year, and they didn't measure up to the ones I buy locally, either, but I hope for better from my young tree. Seed Savers classifies Idared as a large apple and says, "Tart at harvest time; quality develops in storage." It's a fact I shop for these at the end of the season. Perhaps the difference is terroir.

34° — Wind Calm — Sky overcast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got a question for everyone
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Mid Michigan
Luckily, there is local orchard that has TONS of varieties of antique apples. They claim to have 1,500 varieties and 4,000 trees. I'm sure that if I keep coming back to them and buying different apples, i'll find the exact perfect apple for my yard.

Thanks for the suggestion!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got a question for everyone
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:12 pm
Posts: 5
Arkansas Black will not be very flavorful in your area, if it even survives the winters...
I'm growing in PA so not super familiar with your zone but...in order of my preference to meet your criteria:

York Imperial. The hardest apple I've ever eaten, very crisp and juicy, harder than Granny but with much better flavor, stores well (it's namesake...the imperial keeper)

Pink Lady very crisp, very late harvest, you may be harvesting them in the snow...but excellent keeper that meets your criteria

Rome Beauty. Very large, tart, crisp, juicy, not the best flavor in my opinion although it has it's fans

Cortland Grown in finger lake region New York so should be similar in zone. Very large, McIntoshey type, Tart and juicy but not extremely crisp if you let them hang too long

All commercially available at most large nurseries eg. Stark Bros., Hilltop, Boyer, Adams County Nursery just to name a few.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got a question for everyone
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Mid Michigan
Thanks for the info! I'm going to put them on my list of apples to try this season! As for the trees i'm probably going to plant, they are all heirloom varities that i'm going to get in a bundle from Trees of Antiquity. Ashmead's Kernel, Cox's Orange Pippin, Northern Spy, Newton Pippin, White Pearmain, and Hauer Pippin. This will get me started and once I taste test a bunch this fall, i'll make a few more picks for planting. The ones you suggested sound very interesting! (Also, the USDA changed my climate zone from 5 to 6 according to average temps over the past 25-30 years).


theothertkuntz wrote:
Arkansas Black will not be very flavorful in your area, if it even survives the winters...
I'm growing in PA so not super familiar with your zone but...in order of my preference to meet your criteria:

York Imperial. The hardest apple I've ever eaten, very crisp and juicy, harder than Granny but with much better flavor, stores well (it's namesake...the imperial keeper)

Pink Lady very crisp, very late harvest, you may be harvesting them in the snow...but excellent keeper that meets your criteria

Rome Beauty. Very large, tart, crisp, juicy, not the best flavor in my opinion although it has it's fans

Cortland Grown in finger lake region New York so should be similar in zone. Very large, McIntoshey type, Tart and juicy but not extremely crisp if you let them hang too long

All commercially available at most large nurseries eg. Stark Bros., Hilltop, Boyer, Adams County Nursery just to name a few.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got a question for everyone
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:59 am
Posts: 20
Location: Baxley, Georgia
I am not sure what your experience is in apples but just as a reminder keep in mind rootstock and pollination when you make your selection.

These people have fruit trees where it is very cold. I noticed they use a rootstock more suited for the cold.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/index.htm

Randy

_________________
http://georgiahomeorchard.blogspot.com/

Georgia

Apple Trees:
Anna, Golden Dorsett, Jonagold, Fuji, Pink Lady, Golden Delicious, Winesap, Mutsu, Granny Smith, Williams Pride, Arkansas Black Cox Orange Pippen

Cherry Trees:
English Morello, NorthStar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got a question for everyone
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:29 pm
Posts: 76
Location: Mid Michigan
Randy SGF wrote:
I am not sure what your experience is in apples but just as a reminder keep in mind rootstock and pollination when you make your selection.

These people have fruit trees where it is very cold. I noticed they use a rootstock more suited for the cold.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/index.htm

Randy


I have zero experience with apples...this will be my first venture into growing them. The trees i'll be getting should (I hope at least!) help each other with pollination and that *shouldn't* be a problem. None of them have sterile pollen.

Thanks for the heads up!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Got a question for everyone
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:59 am
Posts: 20
Location: Baxley, Georgia
If you are located here in the States, then get in touch with your local Extension agent, They will have a lot of free, or nearly free information for you on growing apples in your area.

Look for planting and initial pruning information for your area. It may be your trees come pruned but if they are not, do some google searches or call your Extension agent to find the information for your area. The initial pruning when you plant the tree will have a lot to do with the future development and production of the tree.

The number one thing we can do for our home orchard is keep the orchard floor and the trees clean of tree derby like fallen leaves, pruned branches and latter on ,fallen or diseased fruit in the tree.

Randy

_________________
http://georgiahomeorchard.blogspot.com/

Georgia

Apple Trees:
Anna, Golden Dorsett, Jonagold, Fuji, Pink Lady, Golden Delicious, Winesap, Mutsu, Granny Smith, Williams Pride, Arkansas Black Cox Orange Pippen

Cherry Trees:
English Morello, NorthStar


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group