pollination for gravenstein

Moderator: appledude

greg4197

pollination for gravenstein

Post by greg4197 »

new to the forum, hope you can help with some wisdom. i recently planted a gravenstein apple tree and was wondering if they need a particular pollinator. i have a golden delish, a cherry red from stark, and a honeycrisp. also... does fireblight spray work, want to protect the young tree if all possible. thanks. :)
appledude

Re: pollination for gravenstein

Post by appledude »

Nice list of fireblight resistant apples [urlhttp://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/tables/fbsus.html]HERE[/url].

I saw Gold Delish on it. Didn't spend alot of time studying it.

The more pollen sources you have the merrier, of course. Don't make them all the same tree though! This is a truism for plums and pears as well.
theothertkuntz

Post by theothertkuntz »

Gravenstein is triploid and pollen sterile. This means Gravenstein will not pollinate other varieties and it needs two other varieties in order to achieve pollination. Hundreds of varieties will work as long as they bloom during the same time. Gravenstein blooms about the same time as Gala and Golden Delicious in my area.
Also: Gravenstein are VERY suseptable to fire blight.
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

Here in the UK we find Gravs bloom very early, so I would look for an early-season pollinator.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Check the pollination checker at http://www.orangepippintrees.com/pollin ... ecker.aspx

Helped me select what trees to plant near one another in my yard.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch