Finnish Cider

Moderator: appledude

PA_Docent

Finnish Cider

Post by PA_Docent »

I spent 6 months in Finland and drank a lot of Finnish 4% and 6% cider. I prefer cider that is bitter and dry. I would like to know what apple trees the Finns make their cider from? I will have five cider trees in my yard by mid April and I can plant a couple more if I can find out which they grow in Finland!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
appledude

Re: Finnish Cider

Post by appledude »

Good question, but I am sure that with all your plantings you'll be able to dial in something that you like to drink.

I've wondered how hops would go in cider. Might be real bitter and good! :D
PA_Docent

Re: Finnish Cider

Post by PA_Docent »

I have never grown hops but they look like interesting plants and should be easy to grow here. My trees are still several years away from bumper crops so for now will only eat the few that ripen. Thanks for the idea though!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch