firtigation products and schedule

Moderator: appledude

applesssss

firtigation products and schedule

Post by applesssss »

Where do i buy orchard supplies? I have 20 m26 honeycrisp that i water with drip irrigation system. i am getting 40 more next week g11 g16 b9. I am going to plant a tall spindle system. I have everything ready except a supplier and firtigation program. What type of fertilizer do i need and how often? Is there an all in one fertilizer that i can use for the first year?
Hugh

Re: firtigation products and schedule

Post by Hugh »

If you google "orchard supplies" you will find several, and you can choose one close to you. This is one I have used: http://peachridge.com/ They ship fast.

With your 60 trees, I suggest you pass on drip irrigation and also pass on fertigation. Drip will only wet the soil in a small area, whereas your new trees need a large area of moist soil to give the roots a good environment where they will thrive. When you plant bare root trees, think, "roots." You need to grow roots right away.

Roots will not develop in dry soil. Using drip will wet a small area and therefore limit the size of the area conducive to new root development.

The biology of this is that roots do not “travel” through the soil and "look" for water, but in fact only grow in length by the cell division that occurs on the growing tip of the root. When this growing tip encounters dry soil, the cells stop division. Hence, to develop a large root system, one must maintain moist soil conditions that are good for root development beyond the current root zone.

I suggest watering with a garden hose and make a water basin around each tree at planting and fill that basin with water on each watering. A 2 foot wide basin should be given about 10 gallons of water at planting time and about 5 gallons on each irrigation afterwards. This is about (very roughly here) 3-5 inches of irrigation on planting and 2 inches of irrigation on each successive watering. Maintain this the first season. After the first season, knock down the basin and continue deep watering that extends past the tree canopy. Apple trees are capable of growing roots out to fifteen or more feet from their trunks. Studies have shown that the "drip line" of the tree's canopy is not where the roots stop. They can extend far past the canopy.

When to water will depend on your soil’s ability to hold water, , rains, humidity, wind, etc. You can’t depend on a time table. Doing so will cause problems.

Dig down with a small tool and feel the soil. If the soil is dry about 1-2 inches down, deeply water the tree. Do not spray the soil with your finger over the hose end for a few seconds and consider this a good watering. A good rule is: water past the existing roots. This will make sure the roots grow deeply and spread into the surrounding soil.

Fertigation is a complex story and I will pass on that. I can just tell you to forget it. 40 trees is a small amount and can be watered by hand with a hose and fertilized by hand as well. I have 550 newly planted trees and do all my watering in 5-6 hours, about once every 4-8 days depending on the weather. To get fertilizer in your water, you can use a miracle grow hose-end attachment, however, apple trees are salt sensitive, and fertilizers are salts. One can severely damage young trees with liquid fertilizers. I use Osmocote 14-14-14 (very slow release) in the hole at planting and that’s it for the first 60 days. After that I use some liquid in weak doses every watering.

By the way, drip irrigation is being reconsidered all over the world and being replaced with sprinklers.

Good luck!
applesssss

Post by applesssss »

Thanks for the reply. Here are a few pictures of my orchard. http://minnesotaorchard.blogspot.com/ The soil conditions here are very poor, Its 3 feet of rock over bedrock. I have to water it every day. I am feeding them small amounts of nitrogen thru the drip system and foliar spraying with miraclegro.
The orchard has a duel purpose, its designed to be a firebreak. I will be installing a sprinkler system. I am a little concerned about the disease issues if I start using it to water the orchard.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

My advise would be to leave the drip system like it is but apply added water beyond what the drip system provides. With that much rock and poor water holding capability in your soil you might need the drip as a back-up. As for the disease issue with sprinklers, many orchards use sprinklers that spray water below the branches and leaves. There are low sprinklers available that work with drip pipe. From the looks of the natural landscape, my guess is that there is a high water table in that area or a lot of rain. Another guess is that the natural Ph of the soil is low, about 5. I would get a PH test and amend the soil if necessary. You trees look like they will make it just fine...
Greyt.Chase

Post by Greyt.Chase »

What part of Minnesota are you in? My inlaws live sorta close to Brainerd.

The pics on your blog look cool!
applesssss

Post by applesssss »

I live on the shore of lake Superior just a couple miles west of Grand Marais. The pollinators finally showed up today, I was getting worried. http://minnesotaorchard.blogspot.com/20 ... st_29.html
Greyt.Chase

Post by Greyt.Chase »

I had no idea there was a Grand Marais MN. I only knew of Grand Marais MI.