What kind apple do you like to eat?

Moderator: appledude

dmtaylor

Re: What kind apple do you like to eat?

Post by dmtaylor »

Jazz, Jonagold, and Junami. And Honeycrisp. I also love Cortland while they are still in season.

And I was intrigued when I tasted an Arkansas Black, but they are not easy to find around here. Also Hudson's Golden Gem and Sinta. Very hard to find those, though.
Greyt.Chase

Post by Greyt.Chase »

As far as an apple I can walk into any store and pick up, it's Granny Smith, hands down. I'm always in pursuit of a large, firm, and tart apple. Especially one that I can get from a local orchard.

I tried a Golden Nugget last year and really enjoyed that one.
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

I simply LOVE apples!

I recently tried Pink Lady and it tastes wonderful, probably the best apple I ever had. As for the others, I enjoy pretty much any of them, I particularly like Red Galas and Golden Delicious.

I'd like to try Braeburn and Honeycrisp, but they are quite difficult to find here in Italy... :?
Greyt.Chase

Post by Greyt.Chase »

Andrea wrote:I simply LOVE apples!

I recently tried Pink Lady and it tastes wonderful, probably the best apple I ever had. As for the others, I enjoy pretty much any of them, I particularly like Red Galas and Golden Delicious.

I'd like to try Braeburn and Honeycrisp, but they are quite difficult to find here in Italy... :?
I remember many more grape fields than apple orchards. I've read that in the northern part they have more orchards, closer to the Alps. Most of my time was spend in the La Marche province so I can't tell you from first hand experience.
Will_D

Post by Will_D »

Andrea wrote: I recently tried Pink Lady and it tastes wonderful, probably the best apple I ever had. :?
In Dublin, Lidl are selling fantastic Pink Ladys ( from France )

Also fantastic Braebruns and Ariane ( also from France )

All are crisp, sharp, sweet, very nice apples

Will
whozis

Post by whozis »

The first favorite apple that comes to mind was one that I tasted when I was eleven years old. We lived in northern Ohio, USA, at the edge of a farm, and the farmer had a tree by his barn with a russet yellow apple. It was crisp, sweet and spicy! When I showed one to my mother, she told me that it was a Grimes Golden. I have never seen them again, but they live fondly in my memory!

Recent favorites here in northeastern Kentucky include Jonagold, Honeycrisp, and Gold Rush. I like an apple that is crisp, slightly sweet but also tart. Granny Smith is a good one, as well!
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I went to Biglerville, PA yesterday and visited several orchards. I bought apples not generally available in the grocery. I have eaten one of each and I admit that Stayman so far tastes the best. I will not be planting Pleasant or York in my collection!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
PA_Docent

Re: What kind apple do you like to eat? Orange Pippin!

Post by PA_Docent »

I went to Boyers in PA yesterday. I started talking to the attendants and they did not even know about Orange Pippin or Trees of Antiquity websites. I also started talking about apples and they produced a bushel of Cox's Orange Pippin and Arkansas Black. Of course I could not wait until I got home so I ate an Cox's Orange Pippin. That night I shared several apples with my parents and hands down, the Cox's Orange Pippin was the best we ever tasted!!!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch