Patches of White Fuzz on Top of Leaves

Moderator: appledude

Alex

Patches of White Fuzz on Top of Leaves

Post by Alex »

My wife and I (and our families) planted apple seeds during our wedding last fall. Eight of nine seeds have sprouted and are growing, but the plants now have a mysterious growth on them. It's a white fuzz, occurring in patches on the top of the leaves only. After the fuzz stage, that area of the leaf turns black or brown. I've tried identifying this on the web, but it doesn't seem to match any of the typical apple diseases. Photos at https://picasaweb.google.com/1137321373 ... AppleTrees.Thanks for any help or ideas you can provide!
Hugh

Re: Patches of White Fuzz on Top of Leaves

Post by Hugh »

This is powdery mildew. Spray with Immunox Multi Purpose fungicide, ought to fix the problem.
Alex

Re: Patches of White Fuzz on Top of Leaves

Post by Alex »

Thanks for your response. Sorry for the delay--for some reason the forum didn't notify me.

Powdery mildew was my first thought, but everyone I've spoken to has disagreed; even though they can't suggest anything else. I tried spraying the plants with a baking-soda solution, but that didn't seem to do much.

I've been suggested to take a broad-spectrum approach of copper dust and horticultural oil. I guess the copper would work on powdery mildew, if that is indeed the problem?