Cedar Rust Alert for Mid Atlantic States

Moderator: appledude

PA_Docent

Cedar Rust Alert for Mid Atlantic States

Post by PA_Docent » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:07 am

I am reporting to mid Atlantic growers that Cedar Rust is prevalent. I noticed leaves on my Golden Russet with the tale-tale orange spots. Implementing my Bordeaux spray program today on all my trees (Calville Blanc is also very susceptible to Cedar Rust but does not show any evidence of contracting yet).

Update: Other apples that started showing signs of Cedar Rust (noticed while spraying):
Calville Blanc
Cox's Orange
Spitzenburg
Kingston Black
Siberian Crab

To be on the safe side, sprayed my entire collection. I don't mind spraying to save my trees. I am just happy to have these in my home orchard!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch

SOME IDIOT

Re: Cedar Rust Alert for Mid Atlantic States

Post by SOME IDIOT » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:17 pm

I have also had a small breakout of cedar rust on some of my trees. I was wondering, some sites say to prune off infected limbs, where as others say not to worry about it and just spray better next year.

Although I dont think pruning limbs is necessary, I was wondering if pruning off infected leaves would be beneficial for future prevention. Or if doing that will weaken the tree even more.

Varieties infected: Mac, Honeycrisp, Winesap, Summer Rambo, Gala. Although, It does seam that the infections have more to do with the location of the trees than the actual variety, as my Cox's Orange and Spitzenburgs (located more in the center of my orchard) are fine.

This link seams to be the most helpful Ive found

http://gardeningwithchuck.com/cedarapplerust.htm

Any input is appreciated thanks.

PA_Docent

Re: Cedar Rust Alert for Mid Atlantic States

Post by PA_Docent » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:34 am

Just remember to spray your trees and the ground around the tree. I heard cedar rust on the ground can reinfect the tree. One round of spraying seems to have stopped the cedar rust this summer but still on watch.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch