Fire Blight on Tremblett's Bitter?

Moderator: appledude

PA_Docent

Fire Blight on Tremblett's Bitter?

Post by PA_Docent »

My Tremblett Bitter lost all of its leaves to what seems to be fire blight. :( Does anyone else seen fire blight on any apple tree? Can the apple tree survive an attack? My Tremblett Bitter seems to be putting out normal new leaf growth. Thanks!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
Hugh

Re: Fire Blight on Tremblett's Bitter?

Post by Hugh »

I have never seen leaf drop in fireblight infections. In all cases I have seen, in pear, apple and pyracantha, the leaves cling to the branches and turn brown. Normally, leaf drop (abscission) is caused by some shock, from extreme hot to cold, waterlogged soil, chemical gases (gasoline fumes, etc). Leaf abscission is a plant function where the cells of the leaf base turn sideways and build a corky layer and the leaf falls because of the lost connective tissue. In fireblight the leaves never react in that manner. (as far as I have seen)

I believe your tree was water stressed by too much water in the root zone and the lack of oxygen caused the leaf drop. If not, then there might have been some other shock such as chlorine fumes, drastic change in lighting, etc...
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Hugh - do you think a 20 degree increase in heat could have caused the issue? I should have put in my first message that the leaves turned black and hung to the tree. I removed all the leaves and sprayed with a fungal spray hoping to save it. The new growth is only on one of the feathered branches. WIll keep a close eye on it and report later this week again. I do not think it could have been something in the soil or something that leaked into the soil. Thanks - Mike
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

I don't think a 20 degree change in temps would cause leaf drop - however, you did not have leaf drop, so the question is moot.

If the leaves turned black and hung on the tree, sounds like fireblight. I would cut off a branch, and cut away some bark and look for black/red streaks under the bark next to the wood. Peel away the bark like you are peeling a carrot. Be careful not to infect other parts of the tree or other trees with your tools - spray or dip them in alcohol between cuts.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I cut a small branch and stripped the bark but no tale-tale red marks on the wood as Hugh noted. the wood is still green underneath so I hope it will recover. It was dry for several days and the weather changed from the mid 70s to 100 degrees Fahrenheit when the leaves turned black. During this time I watered once a week pouring about 2-3 inches of water. It is a mystery however I will watch this tree closely.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I am happy to report that even there there has been no sign of growth the past two months, the tree has new shoots now. Looks like it will make it this year.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Cut back the areas of the central leader that was effected because it showed no growth. I have two lower limbs that are about a foot long each so cut about 1/3 the way down to a node pointing upward. I will begin spraying with Bordeaux spray in the spring before the buds break and every week until June.
stive951

Post by stive951 »

My daughter and her husband moved into a house about 9 years ago, there is a lone apple tree planted ( in memorandum we believe) in the front yard, the tree seems healthy, no problems to speak of as far as we can see, but it has never set an apple. My question is, do apple trees have to have a 2nd or 3rd tree around it in order to produce apples? We don't even know what kind of apple tree it is... but I do know for sure it's an apple. Thank you for any help you can give.
Greyt.Chase

Post by Greyt.Chase »

stive951 wrote:My daughter and her husband moved into a house about 9 years ago, there is a lone apple tree planted ( in memorandum we believe) in the front yard, the tree seems healthy, no problems to speak of as far as we can see, but it has never set an apple. My question is, do apple trees have to have a 2nd or 3rd tree around it in order to produce apples? We don't even know what kind of apple tree it is... but I do know for sure it's an apple. Thank you for any help you can give.
Some trees definitely need another tree as a pollinater nearby. You need one that flowers around the same time so that the bees can do their job.
badcyclist

Post by badcyclist »

stive-- If you are not inclined to find a proper match for your lone tree, or you don't have much space, you also may use a crabapple to pollinate your tree or mismatched multiple apple trees.