kiwis

Moderator: appledude

PA_Docent

kiwis

Post by PA_Docent »

I live in south-central, PA, zone 6a/b. We have a similar weather as in Maryland, only 5 degrees cooler and less humid. It does get into the 20's as the high for a few days during the winter with some snow as early as November and as late as March. The snow is rare and usually melts before we have another snowfall.

When I visited my cousin in Brittany, France last year in December, he had an ancient kiwi vine that was full of fruit. The weather was chilly and about freezing. We ate kiwis on Christmas day! That got me thinking. I have a wall facing directly south and might be a good area for kiwi vines (I know I need a male and female to produce fruit). I have not heard of anyone growing kiwis around here.

What kiwis would do well in my area? I would like to grow the type purchased in the store.

Thanks!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
PA_Docent

Re: kiwis

Post by PA_Docent »

OK, I did some research so I will limit myself to Actinidia arguta and Actinidia kolomikta but now what to select:

Arctic Beauty
Ananasnaya
Dumbarton Oaks
Geneva
Issai
Meader

Does anyone have any favorites? What about planting Hayward in zone 6a/b?

Thanks
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
PA_Docent

Re: kiwis

Post by PA_Docent »

Definitely adding Ken's Red to my list and may try an A. deliciosa (I heard it can withstand temps down to 10 degrees F. I have heard Ken's Red is one of the best tasting hardy kiwis. Taking Issai off my listing (maybe a male for pollinating my others?). Next year I will be constructing an area to park a car outside and instead of putting a roof over, plan to use this for kiwis. My structure will be approximately 15'Lx10'Wx10'H, made of steel (planning on using fencing posts with tensile wire stretched across) and will be paved under the structure. Will plant raised beds on three sides. I should be able to plant a minimum of four kiwi vines.