An apple tree that doesn't grow apples??

Moderator: appledude

danieljensen

An apple tree that doesn't grow apples??

Post by danieljensen »

I planted an apple tree from seed back when I was 5 years old (I am 27 years old now). My tree is now what I would consider to be full size. The problem is it never in it's life produced apples. For the longest time I thought maybe my memory was bad and that I didn't actually plant an apple seed but something else. However, the leaves matches another dwarf apple tree about 30 feet away so it is indeed an apple tree. I must admit it had a hard life in the beginning as I remember it being close to dying for at least 2 years. On top of that there was most likely no pollination from other apple treas during its life. But everything I read out there says the tree should still product something, even if it is not adequately pollinated. Will this tree ever produce apples? Will forced pollination help? Does this tree belong in the fireplace?
cc_syorks

No fruit on your apple tree?

Post by cc_syorks »

Hello
Your tree is certainly old enough to be producing fruit, even though it is a seedling.
Just wondering, you say the leaves are the same as your other apples - what are the flowers like?
Regards
Clifford
www.fruitscape.co.uk
danieljensen

Post by danieljensen »

I am pleased to report that after 26 years, the apple tree has finally started to produce apples. 26 years!!
appledude

Post by appledude »

That is the longest juvenile period I haver ever seen! Congrats. Hope they are good eating or juicing.