Intro & Apple Tree ID(s) needed

Moderator: appledude

PeakXV

Intro & Apple Tree ID(s) needed

Post by PeakXV »

Hello Folks,

I have a plot in New Brunswick, Canada that has a wide variety of older trees. By older I mean that the youngest tree was planted about 50 years ago. I've been slowly trimming some of the better yielding, over grown trees the past few years and would now like to take the next step into this hobby by finding out what I've got, how to better look after them, and to combat pests as best I can organically.
My ultimate long term goal is only to make apple pies, apple sauce, lots of cider and of course a good seasonal apple bock. Right now there are enough 'good' apples to almost do all of this. But, first, I have to get organized and find out what exactly I have (& have not) in terms of varieties and what those varieties are best used for.

So here is the first tree. It is a large wide tree that has rather late in the season ripening apples that are yellow turning somewhat rosy red in places and taste sweet and almost banana like at times. I am attaching two images, one from a far and another closeup. Please let me know for future posts, the best images/angles/povs to submit and to ease the ID process. Thanks in advance to all:

dmtaylor

Re: Intro & Apple Tree ID(s) needed

Post by dmtaylor »

She is a beauty. It is very difficult to ID trees based on pictures, but that apple to me looks a lot like Malinda. Malinda tastes strongly of almonds, nuts, maybe cherries. If yours is more like banana then I cannot be sure what it might be. Good luck.
PeakXV

Post by PeakXV »

Thanks so much for your reply & input. Perhaps it does have a bit of a nutty taste .... but banana with maybe a hint of melon seemed first to the mind.

Here is apple tree #2. These apples ripen extremely early and are almost always done by the Labor Day Weekend. They are extremely sweet, a favorite for the kids, oxidize quickly after the first bite and are a the #1 favorite of the white-tailed deer. I realize it is difficult to id from pics (perhaps suggestions on a good picture/text id site/forum for apples might also be beneficial in my id search) ... but any thoughts/tips will be helpful at this early stage:

PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I don't know what they are however my mouth is watering... Can't wait for next season.

BTW - the picture of the yellow apple with rose bluch looks like it has bumps on the bottom. If it does, Golden Delicous could be one of its parents. I am learning about apples myself, however I hope you will have better luck gaining the attention of one of the experts here.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch