Dehydrating Liberty Apples

Moderator: appledude

Leila

Dehydrating Liberty Apples

Post by Leila »

Has anyone dehydrated Liberty apples? This is the first year our tree has produced enough large apples to do anything with. In the past the bears have gotten to them first. I've chosen to oven dehydrate these. As our other varieties are ready I will also dehydrate them as well. Yesterday I used my mandolin to slice my apples which was way too thin. Today I'm trying at least 1/2 inch thick. This is my first time trying to dehydrate in the oven. What kind of luck does anyone have with these apples verses other varieties.
Thank you for your comments
appledude

Re: Dehydrating Liberty Apples

Post by appledude »

My guess is that they turned out delicious. Please update us!
Leila

Post by Leila »

To Appledude -
You are so right! They are absolutely delicious. They are a bit on the tart side for eating apples so when dried they turned out perfect. I received my L'Equip dehydrator shortly after my last post and I was able to use my mandolin rather than hand slicing. I just put another six trays on for dehydrating this morning. I appreciate the fact there is no scab or worms and we did not spray this year.
appledude

Post by appledude »

You could drizzle on some sugar mixed with cinnamon powder if they were too sour or you wanted to experiment a little.

Sounds like you have it dialed in, though.
Leila

Post by Leila »

appledude wrote:You could drizzle on some sugar mixed with cinnamon powder if they were too sour or you wanted to experiment a little.

Sounds like you have it dialed in, though.
Great idea, I actually didn't even think about putting anything on them. I will do that in the future. Now it's making cranberry juice. :-)