Magness Pear

Moderator: appledude

PA_Docent

Magness Pear

Post by PA_Docent »

I planted two new pear trees this year, a Magness and Seckel. I bought Magness because it was developed in Maryland so should grow well in this area. The Seckel has taken off, however the Magness has hardly done anything.

Does anyone have experience growing the Magness pear? What ph do pear trees grow best in?
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
PA_Docent

Re: Magness Pear

Post by PA_Docent »

Does anyone know what other pear will pollinate Magness besides Seckel?
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I have heard from Trees of Antiquity that Pineapple Pear, Red Clapp's, Winter Nellis, or Warren pears will pollinate Magness. If anyone knows/hear of any other pears that would be suitable for pollinating Magness update this string. Thanks
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I also learned from Boyers in PA that the Potomac will pollinate Magness. Now with the cooler weather the Magness started growing. Hope this new growth hardens off before winter.
jimbabb

Post by jimbabb »

Asians like Shinko and Korean giant will pollinate and are Fire blight resistant as well as orient and moon glow if you need domestic fire blight resistant varieties
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

jimbabb wrote:Asians like Shinko and Korean giant will pollinate and are Fire blight resistant as well as orient and moon glow if you need domestic fire blight resistant varieties
Thanks for the suggestion. I have read that Asian pears are good pollinators for European pears, however I do not care for Asian pears and prefer the European. I recently purchased and planted a Potomac pear near the Magness (both of the European pears I have were bread for and are fire blight resistant).
Grafter

Post by Grafter »

Other than Seckel, I don't know what other variety will pollinate the Magness, but from what I've been told, it takes the Magness about 1 to 2 years longer than the Seckel to produce fruit.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

05/31/2013 Update: The Magness produced flowers this year but set no fruit (it is only the second year in my collection). It will probably be a few more years before it will set fruit. I do not know of any other pear trees in the general area farmland (I walk my dog every day along the country roads). I purchased four European pears (Magness, Potomac, Seckel, and Doyenne de Comice) and one Asian (Drippin' Honey Pear). I bought the Potomac and Doyenne because other nurseries/orchardists recommended these as pollinators for Magness. I decided to purchase the Asian pear to help guarnatee pollination. Hope to report in several years how they produce.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

will post a picture after I charge my camera battery. Magness growth looks good so far.