Dolgo Crabapple

Moderator: appledude

LEB

Re: Dolgo Crabapple

Post by LEB »

OK, guys, here is an update on the 10 "open pollinated Dolgo crabs" (purchased from Lawyer Nursery) in 2008. I was wondering how "true" to variety they would be since, as we know, apples do not normally breed true from seed. In fact they are notorious for absolutely not doing so. So I potted the 10 Dolgo seedlings and now it is three years later and what do we have? Well, for sure, we do NOT have "breeds true from seed" Dolgo crabs. Of the 10, we have one tree which very much resembles a Dolgo crab in tree shape and fruit albeit it has thorns (of all things) - my grafted Dolgo does not. The other 9 are a motley crew of trees - none of which have yet fruited but the size, shape, leaf color and, I suspect, future fruit are all quite variable. None of the 9 remotely resemble my true Dolgo crab. I think we can safely conclude that said Dolgos do NOT breed true from seed in spite of the fact that several nurseries on the web state that they do.

Still it is fun to do these sorts of "experiments." I have an area of my farm which we are reforesting so the various "experimental" trees will find a good home there. Currently, I have about 12 Bartlett pear seedlings which are growing in containers and destined for that region. I purchased them for pear root stock but never got around to grafting them. Same with some Antonovka rootstock apples which were potted up, as well. Never grafted these either. These trees also will end up in the reforestation region which comprises about 6 or so acres of land which we are letting return to forest. It is a good place to put left over rootstock trees which do not have any place in the orchards proper (only grafted trees of know varieties go there) as well as excess grafted trees from my somewhat over ambitious ordering (!). It is also a good place to put my over-exuberant ordering of various conifers ordered, as well. They have grown quite large and have been repotted several times. Next transplanting will be in the ground since they are already in the largest pots (7 gals) which I, personally, can handle. I cannot lift or move a 10 gal pot so it is now planting time for the evergreens (they started out as tiny seedlings from the State nursery - costing literally pennies each). As for digging the holes, well thank God for tractors and a really great husband!

As for the rootstock trees, we shall see what percentage of the Antonovka apple and Bartlett pear seedling rootstock actually produce edible fruit. As I said, these "experiments" are sort of fun and the reforestation region is a good place to plant the "failures." The wildlife will love them, for sure and the trees will be pretty enough in the spring, no matter what. Their palate (wildlife) is far less discriminating then is ours. I shall update everyone when the results are in.

PS - I would love to hear from anyone with experience in planting seedling apple and pear rootstock. There is not much on the internet about the results of these "experiments" so lots of other folks might be interested. Post up, please! My guess is that the self-fruitful peach rootstock is far more reliable than are apple and pear rootstock in terms of producing edible fruit.

Lois