Apple scions

Moderator: appledude

derekamills

Apple scions

Post by derekamills »

I have just over 300 varieties of apples, and scions are available, for the majority of them, for purchase.

My website is www.hockinghillsorchard.com
appledude

Post by appledude »

Nicely organized site Derek. Hope you sell lots of scions!

I checked your "wants" list. Never heard of any of those.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger. -- Mark Twain

It isn't always what we know that affects our results so much, as what we know that ain't so! -- Dr. Melvin Westwood
derekamills

Post by derekamills »

Hello Plumfan,

Thanks for the comment. I love doing the web site even though it is time consuming trying to keep it updated. I have a couple of the varieties listed on my "wanted" page just haven't moved them off that page yet.

Will you and your wife go camping this Spring at the place where you found the red fleshed apple last Fall? If you do and if you find the tree I will be curious to know what color the blossom will be.

I laughed at your comment the other day about the power going out and not having access to "apple" stuff. I either drag Joan Morgan's "The Books of Apples" or Beach's "The Apples of New York" with me to work to read. And I have already read them numerous times but always find something new.

talk to you later,

Derek
appledude

Post by appledude »

Hi Derek,

No I don't think they allow camping at this particular wildlife refuge. I think I have seen signs that say not to be there after dusk and before 5 am or something. Thanks to you, I may just go looking for pink flowers now. I hadn't thought of that angle before. Thanks!

I was thinking... I could graft my stick of the red-flesh apple and after I am satisfied that it took, I could hurry up and mail you whatever remains, if you want a start of it this year. That way you could be a year ahead, instead of waiting for scionwood this next winter. I am happy to give you whatever remains after I graft.

I will be going to a scionwood swap on Saturday. You have any special wants in the red-fleshes that I can help you with? You already have Winekist? lemmeknow

It isn't always what we know that affects our results so much, as what we know that ain't so! -- Dr. Melvin Westwood
derekamills

Post by derekamills »

Too bad about not being able to camp at that site. That is like the nature park/nature preserve where I volunteer. 5,000 acres but be out by dark unless there is a sponsored program. I think I told you about that place, I found the old home site with 50+ apples laid out grid pattern. We determined from a plat book the apple trees were probably planted in the late 40's to late 50's.

Pink flowers are not always indicative of red fleshed apples but I bet they are at least 80% of the time.

I would love a piece of that cutting after you are finished if you have anything, thanks.

I wish there was an apple scion swap meet around here to attend. Usualy the only scions I see are mine. I give apple grafting programs at a couple of different parks and a historical society around here and sometimes people will bring in something from an old tree they have and give me a cutting.

talk to you later,

Derek
appledude

Post by appledude »

Derek,

Is there anything preventing you from packing in seedling trees or graftings and growing them on the 5000 acres? If that is a go, I know what I'd be doing! Plumfan-appleseed! I really need to change my name :) Plumfan is not doing it anymore.

I think I will pack in some seedlings grafted to proven parents to this Wildlife Refuge of mine. It will surely alter the genetic balance over the next century, especially when introducing crabapple genes for scab resistance. There are numbered selections available for that purpose. They were shown to be superior breeders by Rutgers, Illinois, and Purdue Universities.

So I packed the Refuge's best trees to my place, and then I pack good trees into the refuge. Sounds like a wild and crazy plan!

I picked up another dozen or so apple scions at the swap meet. I payed $5 at the door for admission, and scions were free! They had literally hundreds of apple cultivars, hundreds of pears, lots of grapes, persimmons, paw-paw's, Kiwis, and a ton of other stuff. I would say at the initial opening there was between 200 and 300 people milling about the tables, masking tape and marking pens in hand to label scions they chose.

I think I will make you a mailing of all my leftover "public" wood (plus the red flesh one), when I am satisfied for my own needs. You got plenty of rootstocks available? or branch stubs?

derekamills

Post by derekamills »

Hello Plumfan,

I read your description of the scion swap and said wow! What an event that must have been to attend.

Yep to the rootstock, I have about 100 left over from last year and have 200 more coming for this year.

Derek
appledude

Post by appledude »

Derek,

Would you please formulate a list of your absolute apple wants? I plan on seeing a friend tomorrow who has almost 4000 different kinds of apples and can likely fix you up with some of the ones you want

Please put them in alphabetical order.

derekamills

Post by derekamills »

Hey, thanks for the offer. Here are the varieties on my list:

Buff
Cherokee Indian apple
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christie Manson
(1905 UK) (JRHS) Large size fruit, skin greenish yellow with slight orange flush and pink blotches, dotted. Flesh firm, coarse, cream tinged pink, flavor slightly sweet, season late.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clyde Beauty
(1851 Clyde, New York, USA) (Dow) Large size, skin green or yellow flushed and mottled red, waxy. Flesh fine, tender, flavor subacid, season mid to late.

Clyde Transparent
(1884 Scotland, UK) (Hogg) Small to medium size, skin yellow flushed red with darker streaks. Flesh crisp, yellowish, flavor sweet.

Coeur de Boeuf
(1200's France) (JRHS) Large size fruit, skin light yellow almost entirely covered with purplish red, streaked red. Flesh soft, greenish veined pink, flavor sweet, subacid, season very late.

Diamond
(1937 Essex, England, UK) (JRHS) Medium to large size, skin very pale yellow half flushed pale red, striped darker red. Flesh fine, firm, hard, often tinged pink. Flavor subacid, sweet, season mid to late.

High Yellow
(Shady Springs, West Virginia, USA) Found in an old cider and apple brandy orchard and was said to be old in 1900.

Hollow Log
(GMAL 706)

Kamsomolez
(1933 Brookings, South Dakota, USA) (NYG) Medium size fruit. Flesh firm, pink, acid.

Opal (1)
(1895 Berkshire, England, UK) (JRHS) Medium size, skin pale yellow. Flesh tender, flavor subacid, season late.

Opal (2)
(1936 Essex, England, UK) (JRHS) Medium size, skin pale yellow flushed bright crimson, striped carmine, some russet dots. Flesh firm, crisp, cream tinged orange, flavor sweet subacid, season mid.

Raymond
(1950 Beverly, Massachusetts, USA) (NYG) Medium size fruit, skin red with stripe. Flesh soft, pink.

Shasta Blood
Antique variety.
appledude

Post by appledude »

Derek,

Sorry I did not have a chance to see your list for the last couple of days. BUT, my friend must NOT have had those var's, as I saw your order on the very top of the pile. I just glanced at the pile and there your name was. So you would have ordered from him if he woulda had it, am I correct?

He and I share apple interests, but the other reason I was there is because he needs 5 acres of wine grapes off the ground. So we are installing the wires and posts to make that all happen. Oregon sure does make some killer red wines, merlot-style. I have never had anything quite so good as this particular grape. It is Foch. wow.

Check your PM's.

appledude

Post by appledude »

Here is one list of scions from overseas:

Freyberg
Kidd's Orange Red
Holstein
Rubinette
Winston
Suntan
Berlepsch
Alkmene
Delbarestivale
Elshof (=Elstar)
Rt de Chenée
Rt de France
Gravenstein
Rt de Caux
Kasteleyn
Pinova
Orleans Rt
court pendu gris
court pendu noir
court pendu rosat
Adams Permain
Melrose
Akane
Tydeman Late Orange
Dorée de Versailles
Merton Russet
Zabergau
Ross Nonpareil
King Russet
Ashmead's Kernel
Fall Russet
Egremont Russet
St Edmunds Pippin
Polly Prosser
Rosemary Russet
d'Arcy Spice

And the other list from overseas:

Akane
Alkmene
Adam's Pearmain
Argilière
Astrakan Red
Ashmead's Kernel
d'Argent

Boston Russet
Belle de Boskoop
Belle de Cance
Bramley Seedling
Belle de Nordhausen
Berlander
Benoni
Benedictin
Braeburn

Calville rouge d'été
Cox orange
Cox red
Court pendu rosat
Calville de Saint Sauveur
Clément
Citroenappel
Claygate Pearmain
Charles Ross
Cabarette
Colapuy
Cybèle (Delbard)
Christmas Pearmain
Court pendu de Tournai

De Chasseurs
Discovery
Duke of Devonshire
Delbarestivale
Devonshire Quarendon
Donja
Delbard Jubilé
Dorée de Cavagnac

Egremont Russet
Elstar
Ellison's Orange
Epicure (Laxton's Epicure)
Exquisite (Laxton's Exquisite)

Fenouillet rouge
Fortune (Laxton's)
Freyberg
Fantasia
Falstaff
Freiherr von Berlepsch
Freiherr von Berlepsch Red

Golden Delicious
Gravenstein
Groninger Kroon
Gloster
Glorie van Holland
Gris Braibant
Golden pippin
Georges Cave (Red)
Gris Baudet

Houblon
Hondekop
Holstein
Haute Bonté

Jacques Lebel
James Grieve
Jonagold
Jonagold Decosta
Jonagored
Jonathan
Jonared
Joseph Musch
Jan Steen

Kaneelappel
Keizer Alexander
Karmijn de Sonnaville
Kasteleyn
Kidd's Orange
Kiliaan
King's Acre pippin
Kalvijntje

La Paix
Lord Lambourne
Lord Hinlip
Lord Burghley
Lady Sudeley
Lemoen Pippin

Melba
Melrose
Mac Intosh
Mutsu
Marbrée de Watervliet
Merton Charm
Miller's Seedling
Michaelmas Red

Notarisappel

Oost Sterrebintjes
Ontario

Peas Good non Such
Pomme d'Api étoilée
Pomme d'Api Red
Present van Engeland
President Roulin
Précoce de Wirwignis
Pigeonnet Commun (Red)
Pinova

Queen
Quérina

Reine de Reinette
Régalé
Ribston Pippin
Rosemary Russet
Radoux
Reinette Blenheim
Reinette Ananas
Rt Hernaut
Rt de Chenée
Rt Descartes
Rt Dubuisson
Rt Parmentier
Rt Zabergau
Rt de Waleffe
Rt Grez Doiceau
Rt du Mans
Rt de Canada (White)
Rt d'Armorique
Rt Evagil
Rt Marbrée
Rt Dorée de Versailles
Rt Orléans
Rt de France
Rt Bakker-Parmentier (Rede)
Rt Hubert's
Rt de Flandres
Rt Grise d'automne
Rt de Caux
Rt d'Angleterre
Rt de Furnes
Rt Franche
Rt Clochard
Rt Grise de Louis
Rt de Brives (= St Germaine)
Rt de Fugelan
Rt Blanche de Beussent
Rt Burchardt
Rubinette
Roundway Magnum Bonum
Rhoda Mantet

Santana
Superman Red
Speekaert
Sterreinette
Schellinkhout
Sultan
Stark Early
Signe Tillisch
Sturmer Pippin
Starking
Spigold
Spencer
Sunset
Spijon
Samuel

Tentation
Trezeke Meyers
Transparante de Croncels
Tydemans's early
Tydeman's late

Wealthy
Winston
Winterbanana
Worcester Pearmain
William Crump

Zoete Orange
haeveingridseyn

Post by haeveingridseyn »

Hi Derekamills...

I am also searching for this information.And want to know the different types of apple.
As your provided website is really helpful and useful for getting knowledge about apple.

I also want to know how many different types of apple is useful for health and which apple tree is best among all.

Hope for your soon reply.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by haeveingridseyn on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
derekamills

Post by derekamills »

Hello,

To answer your question about which apple is best for all would be impossible <grin>.

I love Pink Pearl and Blue Pearmain for eating fresh. Esopus Spitzenberg and Newtown Pippin for pie making. Foxwhelp and Kingston Black for cider making.

And that is just when they are in season. When they are not and something else, that becomes my favorite.

Derek
bozemeier

Re: Apple scions

Post by bozemeier »

I am interested in buying some Apple scions to graft onto my Crabapple tree this Spring. Please email me if someone has some (10 - 50) to offer. bozesimp@htc.net