Rust on apple tree leaves

Moderator: appledude

mystang89

Rust on apple tree leaves

Post by mystang89 »

I just planted apple trees this year and was told they were about 3 - 4 years old. One is a Pink Lady and the other is a Fuji. Both are regular size.

As the title says the leaves look to have started to develop rust on them. They have budded already and the flowers have fallen off already. What can I do to kill the rust? I looked online and red that a treatment needs to be put on them before they bud but I wasn't able to do that. I did purchase some neem oil. Will this work to kill the rust and if so when should I apply it and how often afterwards? Thanks.
OrangePippin-Richard

Re: Rust on apple tree leaves

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

When did you plant the trees? Were they supplied bare-root or in pots? Are you sure it is rust and not just something related to transplant shock (since if they are 3-4 years old they will not have taken kindly to being transplanted)?
mystang89

Post by mystang89 »

I planted them about 1 1/2 months ago and they were doing very well. I don't think it's transplant shock. It literally looks like little specs of rust on some of the leaves. When I bought them they were in pots.
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

It is probably best to check with the nursery then, as they will probably have an idea what it is and how to treat it - and will be grateful that you have advised them of the issue. It could have become infected after you planted but given the short space of time it is more likely something picked up at the nursery.