10 acre orchard

Moderator: appledude

lochheadj

10 acre orchard

Post by lochheadj »

I am buying a 10 acre apple orchard. How do I get started with generating some fruit from this?
What things do I need to do first to ensure that I have a successful first season?
Bolemite

Post by Bolemite »

If the orchard had not been cared for for a few years, it is best to start pruning in stages, getting the trees back into shape over a three year period. If it is has been well cared for, just get an idea of how to prune from a book/class or the county extension office. Most homeowners/new growers have a tendency to prune too little. Of course, the dwarf or semi-dwarf will be much easier. I would also talk to your local extension agent and he can help you get a plan going. You will need a sprayer for sure, even if you want to try organic. Definately purchase your state's version of the Comercial Tree Fruit Spray Guide, this will give you an idea of how much you will need to get any quality apples. Also, talk to some local growers. Most will be glad to give you some advice. Remember in June to thin, very important.
Good Luck