Questions about Apples.

Moderator: appledude

Cass

Questions about Apples.

Post by Cass »

Hey guys, I am not a apple grower by no means. But I am a Culinary Arts student and I have a few questions about Apples.

1. What are some apples that you can pick in Oct.?

2.And what is a variety of sweet apple?

3.How many years does it take a dwarf apple tree to produce fruit?

4.what is Grafting?

5. best Apples for pies, Cider, and apple sauce?

6. Best apples to freeze?

Any help is greatly needly. Thanks in an advance

tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

1. Oct. varieties would include Stayman Winesap, Fuji, Rome, Granny Smith, Braeburn, and many more...
2.Sweet apples would include Gala, Fuji, Golden Delicious.
3.Apple trees produce fruit on two and three year old wood. A dwarf tree will begin producing a few apples the year after planting. Full production is usually achieved in the fifth or sixth year.
4.Grafting is a whole college course. Short answer is that the seeds of an apple are wild, meaning if you plant seeds from a McIntosh, for example, you will not get a McIntosh tree. Thus every apple tree is grafted by removing a bud or limb from a producing tree and attaching it to the seedling (or rootstock). For more info see: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... G0532.html
5 and 6 are opinion based questions...If you asked 100 marketers, you would get 100 different answers.
5. I recommend a mixture of Cortland or Stayman Winesap mixed with Golden Delicious for pies. Empire mixed with Ginger Gold for sauce, however any mix works or some prefer a single apple such as McIntosh.
6.Only the most solid apples freeze with any success, I would recommend York Imperial, Stayman Winesap, or Granny Smith.

marcuz29

Post by marcuz29 »

Well, Apples are really good for the body.That is why i loved it. I also love it's taste.