North Carolina recomendations

Moderator: appledude

scottnc

North Carolina recomendations

Post by scottnc »

We have several trees now. All are April bloomers. All on dwarf rootstock. None are self pollinators, in fact, if not for a couple of neighbors decades old trees ours would be good for nothing but shade. Being in central NC we have heavy clay soil, issues with cedar apple rust and last year, fire blight. Due to wood borers a couple trees have been lost and we wish to replace them with a variety more resistant to rust, that would be a good pollinator but not a crab apple. Something good eating leaning toward the sweet side that also makes a good cooking apple. Any variety suggestions?

We started looking locally last summer after fire blight took all our apples but was put off by a nursery, being told to wait until spring, which ran contrary to my thinking that the best planting time is in the fall.

One other thing. The fire blight we experienced last year, once identifyed I heavily pruned, removing all affected areas but on one tree where a sore remains on the trunk. I thought to wrap that tree come spring. Good or bad idea? The trees are 13 years old and we hate to cut them down.

Thanks!