What are all these little green bugs, aphids?

Moderator: appledude

beckham123

What are all these little green bugs, aphids?

Post by beckham123 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi,

Over the past week, hundreds of small green bugs have appeared on about 30% of the branches on my apple tree. I took some photos, and compared them to pictures on the web and they look like some sort of Aphid. Can anyone confirm this and tell me what I have to do to get rid of them?

Pictures are quite high resolution so you can zoom in and get a good look...

Thanks in advance.

appledude

Post by appledude » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:35 pm

Yes those are aphids. I haven't dealt with them for soo long I no longer know how to deal with them while trees are active, but I think a good dormant oil spray in winter, with all leaves off tree, would prevent this sort of thing.

I have read that you can hang an upturned flower pot in a tree, with crumpled newspaper in the underside. Supposedly earwigs will colonize this pot (called an earwig condo) and come out at night to feast on aphids. You might try it.

If it is a small tree you might gently rub them out with your fingers and thumb. Bigger trees require more effort.

Maybe somebody here will tell you what sprays work for a larger tree.

DIM1

Post by DIM1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:07 pm

There are special sprays to control sucking insects, but you can spray the leaves (do not be surprised!) еven Coca-Cola :shock: - verified to work, and not as bad as aerosols. :lol:
Then I thought, what I drink, if Coca-Cola kills aphids :shock:
By the way, Pepsi is also suitable.

appledude

Post by appledude » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Very interesting about Coke and Pepsi!

Now I will have to locate some aphids and give it a try.

Thanks!

DIM1

Post by DIM1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:21 pm

It accidentally discovered some of the gardeners, it is not clear what specifically acts on aphids in the Coca-Cola may be preservatives ... Usually there is spray poisons in fact, Coca and Pepsi still safer, but if the lesion volumes large aphids without aerosols certainly can not do.

appledude

Post by appledude » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:03 am

DIM1 wrote: Then I thought, what I drink, if Coca-Cola kills aphids :shock:
Kills any aphids in your mouth! :lol: :lol:

DIM1

Post by DIM1 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:44 am

In war as in war! :lol:

jorosh20

Re: What are all these little green bugs, aphids?

Post by jorosh20 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Just spray it,and i think it will lost,that's the best thing to do.................................... :lol: :D

Drew Dubious

Post by Drew Dubious » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:07 am

Dishsoap and water will kill them, spray directly on them. They are also repelled by the scent of garlic.

zcrown99

Post by zcrown99 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:50 pm

We've used the soda method too and tends to work pretty well. I had the same reaction though, "if it does this to aphids, why the heck am I drinking it?!" I've also been told that it can clean corrosion off of a car battery...I don't think I need any more convincing! :)

Cheers!
-Booker

AppleCat

Post by AppleCat » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:08 pm

zcrown99 wrote:We've used the soda method too and tends to work pretty well. I had the same reaction though, "if it does this to aphids, why the heck am I drinking it?!" I've also been told that it can clean corrosion off of a car battery...I don't think I need any more convincing! :)

Cheers!
-Booker
Sorry I'm on here so late, but I HATE APHIDS! XP ARG! LOL. I started my first garden this past summer and my tomatoes were covered with the lil' guys. SO frustrating! They're cute and all (not really ugly. lol), but they eat up my plants. How does one expect my plants to grow if they're being eaten? =(

So does soda actually work? If so, then yes, my brain is officially thinking "What the heck does soda do to OUR bodies????" LOL. I realize that they're much smaller (therefore they become saturated), but still. Anyway, wouldn't soda ruin the plants? Also, how would you disperse the stuff? Just curious. Perhaps a video/tutorial would help? =)

Thanks, all! Glad to be here! Hope to meet you all soon! :D
A faith is a necessity to a man. Woe to him who believes in nothing.
Victor Hugo
Are hypro pumps good on aphids?

Outback Orchard

Post by Outback Orchard » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:22 am

Aphids are tolerable in most cases. Monitor to see if the colonies get very large and you begin seeing several leaves of terminal shoots look as though they are wilting. In that case you should spray w/ pesticide and be sure to get underside of leaves.

The earwig idea sounds like a good idea to keep them at tolerable levels for the home orchard. Also if you see lady bugs, you can be sure they will keep aphid numbers down!

If you see ants, they are just eating the "dew" made by the aphids, but will not eat the aphids.

All in all, I rarely worry about aphids, although I do have a small commercial orchard and spray for more problematic pests regularly. This keeps aphid #'s down.