nutrients lost in cooking?

Moderator: appledude

db2469

nutrients lost in cooking?

Post by db2469 »

I'm sure they would lose a bit of Vit C and potassium but what about the quercetin, pectin, and the other antioxidants and flavanoids?

stephenxanders

Post by stephenxanders »

Yes true.. there are times that I prefer half cooked veggies :-) And I don't wash them too much!

sophies89

Post by sophies89 »

I fully agree about that the apples are big stock of calcium, but don't remove the upper red layer of apple because it is full of nutrition.

homerbooth

Re: nutrients lost in cooking?

Post by homerbooth »

Many people believe that fresh fruits and vegetables always contain more nutrients than cooked ones, but cooked carrots have higher levels of antioxidants than fresh carrots. Cooking carrots in the presence of a small amount of oil or butter increases the amount of two antioxidants called beta carotene and phenolic acid. Cooking also increases the amount of lycopene you get from tomatoes. Cooking breaks the plant cells open to increase the absorption of these antioxidants and other beneficial plant chemicals. Adding a little oil or butter increases absorption of fat soluble chemicals.

zadienorris

Post by zadienorris »

Boiling is the cooking method that causes the greatest loss of nutrients in vegetables. Many of the water-soluble vitamins as well as other nutrients are transferred into the water and lost if the vegetables are drained. Boiling and draining vegetables results in a loss of 75% of the vitamin C and folate, 70% of the thiamine and potassium, 65% of the vitamin B6, 55% of the niacin and sodium, 50% of the vitamin B12, 45% of the riboflavin and copper, 40% of the iron and magnesium, and 35% of the vitamin A and phosphorus.

dlopez

Post by dlopez »

That is the reason why still, nothing beats eating fresh fruits and vegetables. Processed food are getting raised eyebrows because of the lost nutrients and all the additives which make it all the more less healthy as compared to eating tomatoes right from the picking. I am not saying that we should all go back to basics with eating what you grow as there would be no other way you can get it from what we have now.

Addicttoyou

Post by Addicttoyou »

It really depends on the way of cooking (frying, baking or pour cooking) and the veg itself. But the loss of the nutrients is inevitable...

ewanqbl

Post by ewanqbl »

So to prevent as many nutrients from being lost, the best way to cook would be which one?

I'm asking this cause lately I've been feeling under the weather(working too much maybe!?!) and I want to start a healthy diet, and start eating right.

What about steamed vegetables? Any better?!

Josmith

Post by Josmith »

Yes I agree that removing red lyar of an apple or boiling it causes lose of nutrients.