Honeycrisp

Moderator: appledude

casey

Honeycrisp

Post by casey »

I have never written to a forum board before, so I hope that I am putting my comments and question in the right place.

Last year, a relative introduced me to an apple called "honeycrisp" I had never heard of it before, but all it took was one bite and I was 'hooked' I do not want to eat any other apples anymore, but none of the grocery stores where I live has ever heard of it.

I have tried visiting a couple of the local farmers markets, but they don't have honeycrisps, either. The people working at the farm markets told me that there are some growers who will send/ship honeycrisps to consumers who contact their orchards directly.

1) Do you have a list of such growers?
2) In what states are honeycrisps grown? (I am wondering whether there might be an orchard filled with honeycrisp trees hiding somewhere in our state - :wink: )

This is the best apple I have ever tasted in my life. Why is it not available at our city grocery stores??

Thank you for anything you can do to help!

applepop

Post by applepop »

Honeycrisp are very available in Wisconsin and some in Michigan (where I live) and probably several states in the north. They are good, but we have gotten over the "novelty to rush to a popular apple", and instead my wife and I are buying Pink Lady at the grocery store. That is out favorite until the Michigan apples start coming, then there are many that we like to buy from local orchards. Try different kinds and then you will know what to compare with what!

LEB

Post by LEB »

In NJ and PA both Honeycrisp and Pink Lady are widely sold. If you like these apples, give Braeburn a try. Braeburn is similar to Pink Lady and also comes from from the same neck of the woods - New Zealand. Those folks over there have been doing some good things with apples these days.

KristieB

Post by KristieB »

Hello,

I to am hooked on Honeycrisp apples. I will search high and low throughout their season to keep a steady supply in my fruit bowl. But the other day I discovered Jazz apples. I didn't believe the fruit market tender that they were as good as my beloved honeycrisp, but he made me taste a slice and I am impressed!! Please give them a try.

tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

You are not alone. The Honeycrisp craze has been impossible for producers to keep up with. The trees are very challenging to grow and as any apple tree, take five or more years to come into production. There have been thousands of acres of Honeycrisp planted over the last few years.
The supply will continue to increase each season, but the demand is also increasing. We do not ship HC from our market yet because the local demand is so high. You may be able to find a New York grower who ships because they jumped into the HC market a few years before PA and New England.
You may want to try http://www.baughers.com/market.html. They have more producing HC than anyone else in MD, PA or NJ that I am aware of. There web site doesn't say anything about shipping, but I would bet they do.

sandra

Post by sandra »

Honeycrisp is tops on my list, also.

For the first time during this glorious autumn apple season, a couple of the major grocery store chains in my city have them stocked in abundance.

These big, juicy, succulent gems come primarily from the orchards throughout central and northern Michigan, and have proven to be excellent keepers in properly controlled cold storage.

We are buying enough of 'em to see us through drear February's late-winter thaw :D

KristieB

Post by KristieB »

Honey crisp are widely available. I've bought them all season in wisconsin, Virginia and now Illinois. My mother buys them in Pennsylvania.

They were developed in Minnesota. I know several of the apple orchards down here in NOrthern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin have them. And I've just started seeing them in the markets here.

Good luck on your search for the perfect eating apple! And if you see Jazz apples from New Zealand, they are nearly as good.

tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

Also keep your eye out for Zestar! if you are a Honeycrisp fan. We harvested the first few this season and they were a huge hit. Production is still in its infancy, so you may not find many for a few seasons. Harvest is about the third week of August in PA. Developed by Univ. of Minn. just like Honeycrisp and Jazz.

Braeburn and Pink Lady have never really taken off in our market. They are harvested very late in the season (end of Oct. for Braeburn and November for Pink Lady) when many customers have gotten their fill of apples. However, both are excellent and rival Honeycrisp in my opinion.

jenkinssk

Post by jenkinssk »

Well, I live in Ohio and our Walmart carries the Honeycrisp apple.Don't know if it's a regional thing but you could look in your Walmart.

tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

The original post was pretty far back, just wanted to let you know if you are still searching, as of this writing we have Honeycrisp apples available to ship anywhere in the USA. Please visit our web site to order @ MVFarmmarket.com or email to farmmarket@masonicvillagespa.org They should be available through September and most of October for 2009.

moski2759

Re: Honeycrisp

Post by moski2759 »

My pies were delicious made with Honeycrisp. In Perry Ohio at Wests Orchard

J-Gee

Re: Honeycrisp

Post by J-Gee »

3 or 4 years ago,I tried my first Honeycrisp and was hooked from the first bite.I continue to buy them,but the last 2 years or so,I have not found any,whether directly from the orchard or from the grocery that begin to match the ones I bought 3 or 4 years ago.I'm very disappointed with the quality available in recent years.Personally,I've always preferred the smaller apples.Could someone please explain the demise in flavor of the Honeycrisp over the last few years?I live in southeastern Ohio.