How much of an apple is water?

Moderator: appledude

erynsgma08

How much of an apple is water?

Post by erynsgma08 »

hello my child is doing a science project, her question is How much of an apple is water? could you give us at least give us three types of apples to choose from. We are getting an early start, her project isn't due until January. thank you
tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

I never tried this experiment with different varieties of apples. I'm theorizing that there may be a difference between apples with large cells like Honeycrisp and apples with small cells like McIntosh. There may also be a difference between softer apples like Red Delicious and a harder (denser) apple like Granny Smith.
Interesting experiment, I would be interested in what you find out.

If you need any more info on how to do this experiment check out:
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/c ... m03061.htm
raar78

Re: How much of an apple is water?

Post by raar78 »

Apples are about 80% water and 20% air.These ratios will change depending on the variety of apple.
To find the amount of water in an apple you have to separate the water from pulp. There are different ways to do this, but the easier way is to take your apples and:
1). Weigh them together
2). Put them through a blender.
3). Strain the mush to separate the water from the pulp.
4). Weigh the water and subtract that amount from your original weight.
raar78

Post by raar78 »

Apples are about 80% water, and 20% air (that's why apples float). These ratios will change depending on the variety of apple.
kashiq48

Post by kashiq48 »

Water comprises about 85 percent of an apple. With only 1 percent fat, apples are a tasty but low-calorie (80) snack. However, even with such high water content, they still pack a lot of vitamins, minerals and fiber.
applebiggy

Post by applebiggy »

Apples are a great source of water compared to other fruits. My dad told me when he was younger they took apple with them to work and used it to rehydrate themselves. It gave them a boost of energy, but thought it was a great way to get something to drink.
I've heard reports that there might be food shortages in the near future, and I want to protect my family by investing in an emergency seed bank. How much do these kits cost,and how many types of kratom seeds come with them?
Drew Dubious

Post by Drew Dubious »

80%water abd 20%air. I loled heartily. :lol: