diseased tree ?

Moderator: appledude

james4957

diseased tree ?

Post by james4957 »

hi, i have recently moved into a new house.
i have an apple tree in the garden that has grown apples with blotches on them (see attached picture) and most of the apples that did grow have now shriveled up and fallen off the tree. the leaves have also curled in at the sides.
Around 2m away there is another apple tree which has lots of apples on which appear healthy.
i dont really know anything about apple tree's and i would be greatful if anyone could help on the situation and perhaps suggest a solution.
Many thanks
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Drew Dubious

Re: diseased tree ?

Post by Drew Dubious »

Wot you got there is the Brown Rot. This is due to a fungus. There is no specific preventive, only good orchard hygiene. Nothing to do but pull the apples off and get rid of them, ideally by feeding to livestock, but not too many or your cattle or pigs may get drunk. Some trees are more prone to this than others. From the looks of the leaves, you -might- also have a bit of scab. A Sulfer spray should be effective against that.

PS brown rot isn't at all poisonous and the juice is fermenting right inside the apple, turning into cider.
james4957

Re: diseased tree ?

Post by james4957 »

thanks for your quick reply, i will do as you suggested and hopefully next year it will be back to normal.