What kind of wax is used on Apples?

Moderator: appledude

hiamps

What kind of wax is used on Apples?

Post by hiamps »

I was wondering what kind of wax is used on Apples to make them shiny? Where do you get wax for apples? I live inWashington State. Any info on waxing apples would be helpful.
Drew Dubious

Re: What kind of wax is used on Apples?

Post by Drew Dubious »

Apples actually have a natural coating of wax! But of course, you know we humans always have to ship our produce 1000 miles to be validated! Food grade waxes come from natural sources including carnauba wax, from the leaves of a Brazilian palm; candellia wax, derived from reed-like desert plants of the genus Euphorbia; and food-grade shellac, which comes from a secretion of the lac bug found in India and Pakistan. These waxes are also approved for use as food additives for candy and pastries. (Now you know why your chocolate bars melt in your mouth but not in your hand…)

p.s. wax actually makes apples dull compared to an apple with the wax buffed off on say... your shirt!
hiamps

Post by hiamps »

Well thank you very much, that was very informative. Now I know.
Drew Dubious

Post by Drew Dubious »

Why for were you looking to wax your apples? just curious.
kashiq48

Post by kashiq48 »

it can be a mineral oil or carnuba wax, which is actually a resin with a waxy feel, it is edible, and is used on fruit even candys, look at the label on a bag of M&M candys.

I am a former chef and worked in retail grocery store my last few years in the business either with the deli dept or produce clerk.
smithnlavis

Post by smithnlavis »

Generally in Apple Corn based wax is used.I saw many videos so that I knew that.