best of the South

Moderator: appledude

casey

best of the South

Post by casey »

I notice that one of our administrators has a post about one of the best reference books to ever grace my personal library: Lee Calhoun's Old Southern Apples.

There is a wonderful old heritage farm in North Carolina that sells some of the varieties described in that scholarly volume: Century Farm Orchards.

The owners host several 'open house' tours of the orchard and packing house throughout the month of November; you can taste-test (in addition to apples, you can get home-made apple pies and fresh apple cider), wander the grounds, meet the growers, learn more than you ever imagined, and purchase select varieties.

Just thought I'd pass this along; it's well worth a brief trip to NC (for those who can afford an autumn weekender during these somewhat difficult economic times), IMHO.
appledude

Re: best of the South

Post by appledude »

casey wrote:There is a wonderful old heritage farm in North Carolina that sells some of the varieties described in that scholarly volume: Century Farm Orchards.
That is a wonderful opportunity for those on the East Coast! Thanks for posting it.