Yellow Transparent Apple Variety

Moderator: appledude

At_Home

Yellow Transparent Apple Variety

Post by At_Home » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:21 pm

I am interested in finding Yellow Transparent apples by the bushel when in season.

My mother used to make the best applesauce from these apples, but we cannot find them anymore.

Can anyone please help?

I am in NJ so eastern PA, NY state, or NJ would be great but I'd be willing to have them shipped if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

cookieapple

Re: Yellow Transparent Apple Variety

Post by cookieapple » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:54 am

If you look up the Brogdale website in England you will find Yellow Transparent has a heap of alternate names. It is commonly also known as White Transparent or Klarapfel. The variety originated in Russia.
My White Transparent tree in Australia fruited two weeks ago. The fruit was pale yellow in colour and the rather course flesh was sweet but slightly acid. The fruit did not keep well and went floury in a couple of days after picking - but I am sure it would make a great apple sauce. The White Transparent fruits very early - well before most other varieties.
If you look up the alternate names (particularly White Transparent) you may find the fruit you are looking for.

Regards

Cookieapple

sandra

Post by sandra » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:25 am

At_Home wrote:Can anyone please help?
I'll try.

Kauffman's Fruit Farm, in Lancaster, PA, grows Yellow Transparents.

Their orchard products are sold in New Jersey and are advertised as being available by the bushel.

Click here to determine whether there is a local vendor within reasonable drive distance.

Address and phone for Kauffman's Fruit Farm & Market:
3097 Old Philadelphia Pike
Bird-in-Hand, PA 17505
Phone: 717-768-7112

You might try also Hurd Orchards in New York. They do ship most of their products, and may well be delighted to receive an order for the early-season Yellow Transparent.

Hurd Orchard phone number: 585-638-8838
Email: market@hurdorchards.com
Address: 17260 Ridge Road
Holley, NY 14470

Best luck Image

At_Home

Post by At_Home » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Sandra,

Thanks - I'll call both places closer to harvest time!!