ISO a specific Apple Dumpling Recipe...

Moderator: appledude

MacMorrighan

ISO a specific Apple Dumpling Recipe...

Post by MacMorrighan »

Hi! I thought I;d ask about a very peculiar Apple Dumpling recipe that I'm searching for. All I really remember about it was the dough-- it was VERY sweet (had lots of sugar in it, obviously, like a cookie might) and was the consistancy of, say, chocolate chip cookie dough without the chips!

The only person I know who's ever made it was the ex-wife of my uncle, and after she divorced him she decided to loathe his entire family, including myself, so it's quite impossible (unfortunately) to ask her... *sigh*

So, surely someone SOMEWHERE must know of such a recipe! :o)

Take Care,
Wade
sandra

Post by sandra »

Perhaps this will prove adequate substitute?

I recommend anything found in the "Recipe Box" section at Friske Orchards

They have one of the very best bakeries in all of northern Michigan (In addition to the most copious, delectable Honeycrisps grown in the whole state) :wink:

You can find this recipe for sensational Apple Dumplings by scrolling down this page at Friske Orchards website

Dough:
2 Cups flour
2 Tsp. baking powder
1/4 Tsp. salt
1/3 Cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 Cup cold stick butter cut into pieces
1/2 to 2/3 Cups cold milk

Filling:
2 med. Apples*, cored peeled, cut into 1/2” cubes
1/3 Cup golden raisins
1/4 Tsp. cinnamon

Syrup:
6 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
2 Tsp. cornstarch
1 Cup apple cider concentrate

Dough:
For dough, combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs are formed. Stir in milk with a fork, using 1/2 cup to start and only adding more if dough is dry. Gather dough into a ball and gently knead 7 or 8 times. Wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate up to 30 minutes for ease in handling. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to form a 15” x 10” rectangle. Cut dough lengthwise in half. Then cut crosswise into thirds to form 5 inch squares.

Filling:
For filling combine all ingredients. Spoon approx. 1/3 cup apple mixture onto center of each square of dough. Bring corners of dough to center. Squeeze all seams tightly to seal. Place dumplings on baking sheet. Bake in Preheated 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until dumplings are light golden. Remove to wire rack to cool slightly.

Syrup:
Meanwhile, for syrup, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan. Gradually stir in apple concentrate. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Boil and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon syrup over each warm dumpling.

*Suggested apples: Northern Spy, Jonathan, Jonagold

Happy baking! :D
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

My Grandmother and mother, both now deceased, used to make a boiled fruit dumpling with apples, never baked. They cooked the apples and other ingredients in a large pot, made a sweet dumpling dough and dropped it in the pot of boiling apples. It was very sweet and rich.
I would love to find a recipe for this. Grandma was from WV and probably brought this recipe from there. HELP!
sanibeta

Post by sanibeta »

What is the best recipe for gingerbread cookies? I actually found a recipe for molasses cookies, instead of gingerbread, that looked pretty good and had good reviews on it. They both had the same ingredients in them. The dough was so sticky, even after chilling it, that I was about to give up and throw it out. I added a bunch extra flour and they came out ok. They were really fluffy, but kind of like cake. I prefer them softer than crunchy. I want a really good recipe that isn't a lot of work and is EASY to work with. I'm almost tempted to never make them again and just buy them. Do you have a good recipe that you love to use?

Post by paulfinn31 »

sandra wrote:Perhaps this will prove adequate substitute?

I recommend anything found in the "Recipe Box" section at Friske Orchards

They have one of the very best bakeries in all of northern Michigan (In addition to the most copious, delectable Honeycrisps grown in the whole state) :wink:

You can find this recipe for sensational Apple Dumplings by scrolling down this page at Friske Orchards website

Dough:
2 Cups flour
2 Tsp. baking powder
1/4 Tsp. salt
1/3 Cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 Cup cold stick butter cut into pieces
1/2 to 2/3 Cups cold milk

Filling:
2 med. Apples*, cored peeled, cut into 1/2” cubes
1/3 Cup golden raisins
1/4 Tsp. cinnamon

Syrup:
6 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
2 Tsp. cornstarch
1 Cup apple cider concentrate

Dough:
For dough, combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs are formed. Stir in milk with a fork, using 1/2 cup to start and only adding more if dough is dry. Gather dough into a ball and gently knead 7 or 8 times. Wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate up to 30 minutes for ease in handling. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to form a 15” x 10” rectangle. Cut dough lengthwise in half. Then cut crosswise into thirds to form 5 inch squares.

Filling:
For filling combine all ingredients. Spoon approx. 1/3 cup apple mixture onto center of each square of dough. Bring corners of dough to center. Squeeze all seams tightly to seal. Place dumplings on baking sheet. Bake in Preheated 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until dumplings are light golden. Remove to wire rack to cool slightly.

Syrup:
Meanwhile, for syrup, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan. Gradually stir in apple concentrate. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Boil and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Spoon syrup over each warm dumpling.

*Suggested apples: Northern Spy, Jonathan, Jonagold

Happy baking! :D
tnaks for the recipe reading this makes me hungry ...hope you could post more of your recipes.