ID Help Please

Moderator: appledude

Ace

ID Help Please

Post by Ace »

This is fruit from a large 50-100 year old tree that was my property when I bought it a year ago. I know there are a thousand apples that look like this, but I need help narrowing it down.

Here are some clues: its self-fertile, fruit is ready in August here in Kansas, It's fair tasting and a great cooking apple, it's keeps well for at lest 2 mo. Large to mid fruit. This years fruit was very large because of a late frost.

This is a great apple (no disease at all ) I want to propagate but it's hard to sell a apple or tree if you don't know what it is.

thanks for any help,

Mike.
Ace

Re: ID Help Please

Post by Ace »

Thanks for the muitute of replies and PMs. I have Identified the tree as the very rare Marvel apple. I will be selling this verity grafted on m111 and m26 in fall 2014.
ps175

Post by ps175 »

Ace wrote:Thanks for the muitute of replies and PMs. I have Identified the tree as the very rare Marvel apple. I will be selling this verity grafted on m111 and m26 in fall 2014. You can read more about this when I post an update, and please let me know if there are any questions.
Good for you! How were you able to identify it?
Last edited by ps175 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace

Post by Ace »

I was not able to ID it so, I just made up a name for it. It seems to be growing on it's own roots. I looks like the original leader died and it branched out from suckers. It might have started as a random seedling grown for root stock.