Mystery greengage

Moderator: appledude

jogburn

Mystery greengage

Post by jogburn »

Hi all

I've carried out quite a lot of work on a rather neglected and unloved orchard. It's mostly apples. which I managed to get identified a couple of years ago, but there is one greengage which had failed to fruit for me until now.

Most of the apple varieties date from the '60's - which fits with the site history (although there are still a couple lurking that may be earlier). Nothing too special but a nice mix - so I'm guessing this gage is likely to be Reine Claude de Bavay as that's a popular one. Can anyone confirm?

The tree isn't particularly vigorous, even with the recent neglect, so that should fit too. Pictures of tree, branch and fruit attached.

Thanks for looking!

Jo
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

OrangePippin-Richard

Re: Mystery greengage

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

If this is in eastern UK then Cambridge Gage or Willingham are more likely than Reine Claude de Bavay. It's difficult to tell all these apart though, as they are probably very closely related.

Try sending some samples to the fruitid service at the UK national fruit collection.
jogburn

Re: Mystery greengage

Post by jogburn »

Thanks Richard.

Yes we're in Loughton, Essex and if contemporary with the rest of the orchard it would most likely have been a variety easily available in the 60's.

There is a slight red flush on many of the fruit - but I'm not sure this helps distinguish between the two when I look on google images.

I'll see about sending some off :-)

Jo