Versatile apple for the NW?

Moderator: appledude

DamnElliott

Versatile apple for the NW?

Post by DamnElliott »

Hi all, I have what I believe is a Yellow Transparent tree in my yard (Eugene, OR, zone 8.) and it's kind of useless to us. The apples, while very healthy, are just not good for eating fresh or baking. We plan to plant another apple tree and would like something somewhat versatile and disease resistant, if possible. The Yellow Transparent has never been treated and the apples always turn out well, but no one wants to eat them! My husband is interested in cider making, I would like something to eat fresh, and we both want to be able to bake with them. I would love some suggestions, ideas, or anything else you have to contribute!

Thanks!
OrangePippin-Richard

Re: Versatile apple for the NW?

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

Yellow Transparent is pretty good for sauce.

Your requirements probably can't be met in a single variety, but the following might be worth considering:

Bramley's Seedling, Golden Russet, Roxbury Russet, Mutsu, Newtown Pippin, Wolf River.
Chuck Rhode

Re: Versatile apple for the NW?

Post by Chuck Rhode »

DamnElliott wrote:My husband is interested in cider making, I would like something to eat fresh, and we both want to be able to bake with them.
Consider a multi-graft tree, or top-work your Yellow Transparent. Raising multiple varieties (even on one trunk) means that unrelated pollen will generally be available unless you have a really long flowering season. If your neighbors have flowing crab apples, then that consideration is taken care of automatically. Otherwise, if each of the varieties you choose doesn't provide fertile pollen at the time the others need it, you can graft in a branch of crab apple, too. If you decide on top-working, you have nearly complete freedom to choose your apple varieties. You might like one each of Honeycrisp for eating, Golden Russet for cider, and Wolf River for baking. You can send off for scion wood in the late winter.