Novice!

Moderator: appledude

Appleofmyeye

Novice!

Post by Appleofmyeye »

Hi everyone,

I have just joined the forum because I have recently moved to Ireland and the home I purchased has several apple trees in the garden! They are not in amazing condition but still have some life left in them. From what I have been told by the previous owner they are the Jonagold variety? I love cooking and would like to start being some what self sufficient so thought I should utilise what I already have growing. I went a bit mad yesterday and brought loads of gardening tools online, second hand - I don't know what to do with them but at least I got them really cheap! :lol:

Well as you can probably tell I don't have the foggiest clue about gardening, let alone cultivating fruit trees!! So where on earth do I start...

All advice welcome, thanks :D
Appleofmyeye

Re: Novice!

Post by Appleofmyeye »

Appleofmyeye wrote:Hi everyone,

I have just joined the forum because I have recently moved to Ireland and the home I purchased has several apple trees in the garden! They are not in amazing condition but still have some life left in them. From what I have been told by the previous owner they are the Jonagold variety? I love cooking and would like to start being some what self sufficient so thought I should utilise what I already have growing. I went a bit mad yesterday and brought loads of gardening tools online, second hand- I don't know what to do with them but at least I got them really cheap! :lol:

Well as you can probably tell I don't have the foggiest clue about gardening, let alone cultivating fruit trees!! So where on earth do I start...

All advice welcome, thanks :D
So from what I have read the apples should be ready September/October time and will start to fall once they are ripe... So I guess for now I just wait. The important part I assume comes afterwards when it is time for pruning so this is perhaps the bit I need some guidance on... Also I wondered if there was something natural that I can spray the trees with to protect them? :)
DuckyDave

Post by DuckyDave »

I am far from Ireland, dwelling in the dry zone of Washington state - which comprises the eastern half of the state - and in the Far West of America. About 8 years ago I thought it might be useful to grow a couple of apple trees. The disappointments only spurred me to look deeper and try harder.

Jonagold is not a very good apple on its own - needing another apple variety to set seed for it. That is the common lot of all apples, but especially so for the likes of this variety. My guess is you have something else on the property also, although, if your trees are near 100 years old, you may do better to begin asking around for what your neighbors are growing. Without sprays.There are a number of Irish apples that may tickle your fancy (I hope that is not a rude phrase.) There are several I know of you might find worth use in your situation.
Jonagold is problematic in so many ways: triploid bloom, subject to Jonathan Spot as well as the other common apple diseases, must undergo renewal pruning of spurs to encourage further fruiting; just not what I'd recommend to a novice grower.
If you can find Bardsey, do so! It seems to be foolproof, although little known. A Welsh apple found as recently as 1998, it has been available over here only a few years. I have and love it. I do not spray, but bag my fruit to deter coddling moth worm.
Sturmer Pippin is a winner, as are Lord Lambourne, Brownlees Russet, Edward VII, Liberty, and an American red flesh: Redfield. Cornish Gilliflower may be something you will like, as well as Claygate Pearmain.
Read whatever you can find. Ask around if someone can lend a hand with your trees. It is possible you can renew prune them and get a crop yet. Have fun!
Phil

Post by Phil »

You posted this last year so you are probably an expert by now. A great starter book is the one by Geoff Hamilton, best to buy second hand. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardeners-Worl ... n+gardener .

Of course a good source of books is the charity shop. I live in Somerset so our climates are very similar.

And of course the main pippin website is great for apples. https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/