Fearn's Pippin

Moderator: appledude

PA_Docent

Fearn's Pippin

Post by PA_Docent »

My Fearn's Pippin has been in the ground two years now and growing well. It has many side branches. How have other apple affectionados pruned their Fearn's Pippin?

Thanks - Mike
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
appledude

Re: Fearn's Pippin

Post by appledude »

Is it especially limber, or what?

Crossing limbs, water sprouts, etc is what I would take off.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

It is only a three year old tree. I have been pruning the water spouts, crossing branches, etc. I have (1) been keeping the branches that emanate from the main stem at 60-90 degrees, (2) straightening out limbs with my tie down method. I have been doing very well so far. This year the main stem (trunk) shot up about 3 feet but side branches are forming. I want to grow my apple trees taller than dwarf because of the deers. Once the deers realize I have apples, I can let them eat from the lower branches (know any hunters in the area?) and harvest from the top part of the tree. Can you inform me what else I should be doing?
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I/the bees successfully cross-pollinated the single rosette of flowers. I am watching as the fruits develop and thinning out the weaker growing; plan to leave only one apple/cluster (I want the apple to be as big as possible).

BTW - Fearn's Pippin seems to be a tip bloomer.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Found out that planting currants (black currants in particular) in my orchard makes the deers avoid my trees :) This method of planting currants allows me to double harvest from my orchard. (Black) Currants in July and August and apples starting in Sept.
Greyt.Chase

Post by Greyt.Chase »

That's a good idea. I live less than a mile away from a National Wildlife Refuge and i've counted 20 deer in my backyard once. Chased single deer away as well.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

This is the first winter I have had no deers cross through my yard. I guess when they smell the currants, they avoid the area. Black currants particularly are avoided by deers!