Bramleys in Spain?

Moderator: appledude

Bussinspain

Bramleys in Spain?

Post by Bussinspain »

Good morning. Does anyone else grow Bramely on the Med? I was informed that Bramelys will not thrive in Spain - well, here goes! I have bought 2 'Bramley 20' apple trees from Orange Pippin (via a friend in the UK). After many months of no rain I was prepared to save all the water I could for them after planting. But I needn't have worried - the heavens opened for 2 days after planting. Fate or what I ask? I used to have a Bramley when I lived in England which cropped so well, and they are the best for cooking with. Where I live in Spain, the best we can buy for cooking with are Granny Smith apples. We Brits love our proper cooking apples:) I have 2 Crab apples and a Granny Smith to help with pollination so watch this space........
OrangePippin-Richard

Re: Bramleys in Spain?

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

Bramley can grow successfully in Mediterranean climates (including Spain, southern California etc).

On a related point, we are often asked to suggest "local" varieties, which people see as somehow better-suited to their area. In reality the provenance of a variety is rarely a reliable indicator of how it will perform in different climates. Bramley is a great example of this, originating from the cool temperate climate of central England, but does very well in much hotter climates. Gala is another variety that will grow almost anywhere.
bellyblossom

Re: Bramleys in Spain?

Post by bellyblossom »

there are two well known (here) fruit orientated nurseries in the PacificNW (USA), which instead indicate Bramley as a late pollinator--even suggesting Northern Spy as a partner! This is astoniishing since OP has Bramley as a #3 and NorthernSpy as a #5.

perhaps not only lattitude, but also longitude affects apple pollination?! Does Bramley behave erratically outside of England much like how English gentlemen go bonkers whenever they visit the playas of Spain on holiday.