Fireblight on Apple

Moderator: appledude

Appleseed

Fireblight on Apple

Post by Appleseed »

Hi,
I have not experienced fireblight until I tried apples in North West Arkansas. All of my trees are supposed to have some resistance to it, but it is still causing me to remove large pieces of my trees. The trees are 3 years old and I have lost most of last years growth. I have even had fireblight on my Enterprise and Roxburry rusett.

I have purchased copper and ferti-loam fireblight spray for next spring. Is there anything I can do this year besides remove large parts of the trees?

I had trees in Kansas and never had problems with fireblight so this has been a learning experience.

Thanks.
PA_Docent

Re: Fireblight on Apple

Post by PA_Docent »

I find the copper spray stops fireblight if you catch it soon enough. When I notice the spots on leaves, I start spraying all my trees. So far so good. Mike
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Why wait until next year to spray? I would spray now to kill spores that fell to the ground that can be "knocked" up the tree during rains. I would spray Bordeaux on both the trees and the ground under the branches to kill any spores remaining.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
littlesioux

Post by littlesioux »

Don't forget that you can spread fireblight from your pruning tools and the pruned material to other trees.
Appleseed

Post by Appleseed »

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think you could spray the Bordeaux on the trees after they leafed out? If that is safe to do I will spray them as soon as it quits raining. We are getting hit by the remnants of tropical storm Bill for the next 2 days.
Thanks,
Eric
Carl on Cape Cod

Post by Carl on Cape Cod »

I don't know about spraying Bordeaux during the growing season, but I've been using copper soap on a weekly basis to (try to) keep the cedar apple rust in check. Used at proper strength, it doesn't seem to be injuring the trees that I can see.
Current trees: (on Bud 118) Roxbury Russet (2), Gravenstein (1), Hewe's Crab (1), Golden Russet (2), Liberty (1), Unknown local early russet (1)
Maiden Trees in nursery in 2016 (Bud 118): Harrison's Cider (1), Unknown local early russet (2), Fameuse (1)