Can't ID leaf damage.

Moderator: appledude

stumpy

Can't ID leaf damage.

Post by stumpy »

The leaves on all 25 of my(honey crisp) have different shades of yellow and brown on them. What am I loooking at?? I have several other varities that don't have it! thanks, stumpy
tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

You do not have a problem specific to your Honeycrisp trees.
Chlorotic leaves are just one of the many Honeycrisp challenges. Many if not most Honeycrisp trees develop these symptoms in late June or early July. The symptoms will be worse if the crop is light.

Basically the leaves are overproducing carbohydrates and chlorsis in the leaves developes as a photo protective mechanism.

Research is ongoing to determine why this is happening and if there is any negative effect on the crop or trees.

Basically as of now there is not much you can do for this problem other than control the nutrition of your soils and control the crop load by thinning to about a 70% crop load each season. By doing this you hopefully prevent biennial bearing and don't have the light crop load every other year.

I have been successfully producing nice Honeycrisp crops for the past five years, so at this point I'm just trying to ignore the problem and accept it as just one more Honeycrisp challenge.
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Tkuntz, Thanks for the imfo on the Honey Crisps. I thought it was a problem, but I have found out from ACNursery that my problem was what you said-normal for Honey Crisps. I am over here in York County for the next 2 months and would like to talk to you. Are you around the fruit stand frequently? Stumpy
tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

Yes, I am usually at the market. You can reach me at tkuntz@masonicvillagespa.org to set up a good time.