What are the best apples for apple sauce?

Moderator: appledude

cad3

What are the best apples for apple sauce?

Post by cad3 »

I love apples in almost any form and have tried to find the best variety of apple to make apple sauce. Does anyone have a view on that and/or anything in a recipe that makes them special?
tkuntz

Post by tkuntz »

I like a mixture of sweet and tart varieties, the more varieties the better. I usually use at least six or seven varieties when available. If you go to a local farm market they will probably mix some for you. But if I don't have that option, I like a mixture of Gala and McIntosh in Sept., Empire and Golden Delicious in Oct. and Stayman Winesap and Golden Delicious and/or Fuji over the winter.
To add some pink color and some cinnamon flavor, try adding candy cinnamon red hots (Valentine's Day candy). Can usually find them in bulk food stores.
If you really like cinnamon, try adding some cinnamon schnapps like Goldschlager. Amt. depends on your taste. I like the "one shot for me, one shot in the pot" method.
I also like to freeze some in popsicle forms and eat in the summer.
appledude

Post by appledude »

tkuntz wrote:I like the "one shot for me, one shot in the pot" method.
Exactly! Except you are being too generous with the pot!

One can add some redflesh apples to make a pink applesauce.

For standalone sauces it is hard to beat Red Astrachan. Not a redflesh, but pretty tasty.
dchisler

Re: What are the best apples for apple sauce?

Post by dchisler »

Thank you for this site and great info also about applesauce. My favorite is June transparent apples but sadly I have found no one who grows them anymore. I haven't lived in any one place long enough to grow my own. So this fall I am excited to experiment and try your suggestions. transplanted Okie
appledude

Post by appledude »

I should have said before, but Red Astrachan is ready about the first week of August in the Pacific Northwest, so it is relatively early. It is likely early anywhere it is grown!

Goldrush is a late apple that is outstanding for hardness and flavor, in case an early apple doesn't suit your schedule. It is also a good eating apple after a little storage and makes a good standalone cider.
melanie14

Post by melanie14 »

I love homemade applesauce and think it is highly under rated by most folks. When I can find them I like Stayman's for applesauce and apple butter. But really, a good mix of apples, tart and sweet, is good for sauce as it is for apple pie. I like some cinnamon in my applesauce and leave it slightly chunky..
applebiggy

Post by applebiggy »

Homemade apple sauce is so much better than the stuff in the can. You have to use a lot of lemon juice in the applesauce to prevent it from turning brown. They sell organic applesauce at the local store for about twice the price of the regular. I think I might try and make some this summer.
I've heard reports that there might be food shortages in the near future, and I want to protect my family by investing in an emergency seed bank. How much do these kits cost,and how many types of kratom seeds come with them?
ReeceOrchards

Post by ReeceOrchards »

This question can be tricky. It all depends on what kind of texture you want out of your sauce. The softer the apple the smoother the texture, the more firm the apple the more chunky the sauce. We've got a list of our popular apples and uses here: http://www.reeceorchards.com/wp/u-pick- ... ple-guide/

Personally I think smooth sauce is best with a juicier apple like Rome Beauty and Jonathan's if you like a bit more tartness to your sauce. Best of luck in making your sauces. Let us know what you decide on, it's always fun hearing other input!
-Reece Orchards-
http://www.reeceorchards.com/wp/
Your family friendly orchard in Ellijay, GA
Chuck Rhode

Post by Chuck Rhode »

Around here (southern Wisconsin) snow apples (Fameuse) are much sought after for sauce making. They don't require a lot of sweetening if any.

Also, consider Golden Noble. It cooks down really well. Seed Savers says, "Of great culinary value; the creamy white flesh cooks into a rich-flavored frothy puree. Recently discovered to exceed most other edible apples in vitamin C."

Whether the vitamins survive processing I leave to the pondering of nutritionists.

36° — Wind SE 10 mph — Sky overcast.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Quote "I've heard reports that there might be food shortages in the near future, and I want to protect my family by investing in an emergency seed bank. How much do these kits cost,and how many types of kratom seeds come with them?"

I purchase heritage seed (seed that comes back true from seed) from of all places, eBay. You can find many people selling bags of seeds for $0.99 and sometime sales 2 for the price of one. A great resource. Contact me for specific sellers.

By the way, very interesting blog. As a child my parents made applesauce from Cortland and McIntosh. It was tart and oh so good. Can't wait for my trees to mature and start producing!
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch