Apples that are RED on the inside???

Moderator: appledude

notmeiquit

Apples that are RED on the inside???

Post by notmeiquit »

Many moons ago I lived in Oregon and every year I would pick apples of a tree that grew next to my place. The apples had RED insides.

Any one know what kind this may be. This was over 20 years ago, so I can only remember this detail. Thanks a bunch.
the1intexas

Post by the1intexas »

I think you may be talking about the ROME variety.
derekamills

Post by derekamills »

There are a number of varieties of apples that have red flesh (or pink, even orange flesh) and some of them originated in Oregon. Airlie Red Flesh and Bill's Red Flesh are two that I can think of off hand.

We grow 31 red fleshed varieties in our orchard. The web address for our red fleshed apples is www.fourseasonscabinrental.com/redfleshedapples.html

There were two main people in developing red fleshed apples in the US. Albert Etter in California (Pink Pearl, Pink Pearmain and others) and Nels Hansen in North Dakota (?) who worked with Niedzweckyana.

Etter developed apples usually have regular green leaves, normal colored cambium and most of the apples are yellow or green skinned.

Hansen developed apples usually have reddish colored leaves, pinkish cambium and the apples are red to dark red skinned.

This is probably more than you wanted to know <grin>.

Derek
notmeiquit

Post by notmeiquit »

Thanks a Bunch thats what i was looking for. :lol:
appleman

Post by appleman »

Red fleshed apples occur naturally. I live in Aroostook Maine, there are literally millions of wild seedling trees in potato field hedgrows. I go out in the fall and stamp on the drops until I find red fleshed ones. then graft them. I find red flesh apples every couple years. I have an organic nursery and orchard.
notmeiquit

Post by notmeiquit »

Way cool. :P