Green vs. red apples

Moderator: appledude

madacebo

Green vs. red apples

Post by madacebo »

Is there any significant nutritional difference between red and green apples, or among the different varieties in general?
jotaito

Red Apples vs Green Apples

Post by jotaito »

I have the same question regarding the nutritional content of red apples and green apples.

I think we have a cultural thing going here. We were all imprinted with the fact at an early age that apples are "red". Therefore the green apples are not really apples at all; rather, some imitation of apples which somehow seems to resist turning red. And their flavor is slightly off.

What color were the apples that resulted from Johnny Appleseed's distribution project from way back in history? Red, I think.
Lady Apple

Post by Lady Apple »

I was the sixth generation to live on the family farm in the Southern Tier of NY State. John Chapman had planted apple seeds on the farm when traveling west to Ohio, and when I was a child sixty years ago there was still one tree surviving. That tree had neither green nor red apples, but fairly large, yellow ones on it.

By the way, legend has it that Johnny Appleseed personally favored the Summer Rambo.
appleman

Post by appleman »

There is no nutritional difference related to skin color. Red fleshed varieties have higher levels of the antioxidant anthiocyanin than white or yellow fleshed varieties. Because of this fruit breeder are pouring millions into breeding commercial grade red flesh varieties in Canada and New Zealand.
caira111

Re: Green vs. red apples

Post by caira111 »

madacebo wrote:Is there any significant nutritional difference between red and green apples, or among the different varieties in general?
To be honest I eat apples for their tests, they are so juicy. and I don't care about their nutritional values. But if you know someone who is pre-diabetes, or have diabetes, tell them to eat the green apple. That is because the green apples convert less sugar than the red apples, which is a fact.
haeveingridseyn

Post by haeveingridseyn »

Hi Madacebo...

According to me,There is not much difference about nutritional in both apple.

The colour and flavour. Green apples are normally more bitter and the red are usually sweet.

I give the details for your Health benefits to eat both apples:

Nutritional value per 100 g
Dietary fibre 2.4 g
Fat 0 g
Protein 0 g
Water 85 g
Energy 50 kcal 220 KJ.
Carbohydrates 14 g
Sugars 10 g
Vitamin C 5 mg 8%

I think this information is helpful to you.
jessekaye

Post by jessekaye »

Red Delicious tend to have less fiber and more sugar than other types. I would suggest Granny Smith if you can go tart, or Fujis for a nice firm apple. Avoid any that are bigger than your fist- typically, these are stressed with fertilizers to make them bigger, which is all water and no nutrition.
homerbooth

Post by homerbooth »

A green apple is healthier, containing 50% more nutrients and nutriento calories, which help pretent against various apple related diseases. The color is not the disguishing feature. some greens are good to eat in your hand just like some reds are good to eat in your hand. as some are better as a cooking apple, red or green.
fruitfanatic

Post by fruitfanatic »

Green apples are healthier for you. They contain more vitamin c than yellow or red apples. I eat apples based on taste. If I'm in the mood for something tart and tangy, I will eat a green one. If I want something sweet, I will eat a red one.
appledude

Post by appledude »

fruitfanatic wrote:Green apples are healthier for you. They contain more vitamin c than yellow or red apples. I eat apples based on taste. If I'm in the mood for something tart and tangy, I will eat a green one. If I want something sweet, I will eat a red one.
Alot of the red apples have varying amounts of polyphenols, strong antioxidant, anti-cancer compounds. I have noticed that the green and yellow apples seem to be lower in these, overall.

Eat a fine mixture of all colors!
devinemarko

Post by devinemarko »

Color is not the property disguishing. some vegetables are good to eat on hand, as some reds are good to eat on hand. Some are better than an apple for cooking, red or green.
jkishour

Post by jkishour »

Color matters .Nutrition value is almost same.
jame123

Post by jame123 »

The Red apple is better for you. The brighter the food the better it is for you. Since the red apples like Red delicious consist of a deep red coloring it is better for you then the green apple would be
melanie14

Post by melanie14 »

All I know is that I think the green ones taste better than the red ones. And i seriously doubt the green ones are less nutritous and have a higher GI..
applebiggy

Post by applebiggy »

I really prefer the flavor of green apples over red apples. The red ones remind me of high school lunches. I figured the green apples were higher in vitamin C because of the bitterness. What is the price difference of red and green apple seed for farming?
I've heard reports that there might be food shortages in the near future, and I want to protect my family by investing in an emergency seed bank. How much do these kits cost,and how many types of kratom seeds come with them?