Is this a Roxbury Russet?

Moderator: appledude

khelmira

Is this a Roxbury Russet?

Post by khelmira »

Can anyone indentify these apples? Vic planted heirloom apples years ago, but we cannot locate the poster idenfying them. However, after researching quite a bit I believe they are Roxbury Russet. They did not taste good at all and the deer ...wouldn't eat them either. Now, in the last two weeks the few I picked are great, both for eating and made great baked apples tonight. When I went to pick more, I found most had blown off the tree and the deer have eaten them all. Clearly, they are a late apple and a keeper and I only wish I had picked them all when I had a chance
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

womblesd

Re: Is this a Roxbury Russet?

Post by womblesd »

they look similar to my my golden russets which produced for first time this year.
Dan Wombles
Western Illinois, U.S.
khelmira

Post by khelmira »

womblesd wrote:they look similar to my my golden russets which produced for first time this year.

I had a golden russet which died a few years ago, but this is another tree and this apple seems more "russeted" to me that what I remember of our golden russet. Thanks for your reply.
womblesd

Post by womblesd »

how about asmeads kernal?
Dan Wombles
Western Illinois, U.S.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

It looks like it. And RRs hang late in the season and are outstanding cider apples.

Where are you located?
derekamills

Post by derekamills »

I grow numerous varieties of russeted apples and that include Roxbury and Golden. Roxbury Russet looks like your picture, the skin under the russeting is green. Golden Russet apples have yellow skin under the russetting.