Calville Blanc

Moderator: appledude

PA_Docent

Calville Blanc

Post by PA_Docent »

My Calville Blanc is two years in the ground and growing well. I have to decide now how to prune. What have other growers pruned their Calville Blanc?

MIke
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
OrangePippin-Richard

Re: Calville Blanc

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

What rootstock are you using? I usually train dwarf trees with a central leader and more vigorous ones as open-center.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Thanks for the input. My Calville Blanc is on M111 root stock. It should grow 60-75% the regular size if it was grown on its own roots. I favor a central leader but looking for information about how others prune their Calville Blanc. Does it grow into a large tree? It has only been in the ground for its second season with some nice growth and good candidates for branches. The problem with this tree is that there are great scaffolding branches about 24-26" up, one scaffolding branch about half way up, and a nice crown of scaffolding branches at the top. I will allow the growth to mature this year and prune after the leaves fall; will have plenty of time to decide how to prune.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
OrangePippin-Richard

Post by OrangePippin-Richard »

Out of interest, did you cut the tree back after planting? It's probably too late now to do much this year, other than make plans for next year! Calville Blanc is an average grower, therefore not as large as some other European cooking apples like Bramley. I've never had a great deal of success with it, but I keep persevering because the flavor of the apples when cooked is very good.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

When it arrived, the nursery had already pruned. It was only 4 feet tall when planted but now stands at 7-8 feet. There are nice scaffolding branches growing near the center of the tree and at the top. Makes the Calville Blanc look top heavy. I asked the nursery man and he suggest growing it with a central leader. Will definitely prune this autumn/winter though.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

The Calville Blanc is growing well this year. It has momentarily stopped its vertical growth and starting to fill in nicely. The only thing I am doing is watching for suckers and pruning them right away. This winter is when I will be shaping the tree. I will post pictures when all the leaves fall. Maybe after I post my picture, someone can recommend which branches to prune?
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Earlier this year I was checking the top of the tree (about 9 feet high) and the top two feet of the tree broke off completely. The tree currently has many side branches starting and will thin out accordingly. Successfully pollinated several flowers so thinning out weaker growing fruit in order to obtain the largest fruit.

BTW - Calville Blanc (at three years old) seems to be a tip bearer.