Spraying

Moderator: appledude

SOME IDIOT

Spraying

Post by SOME IDIOT »

Hey, I live in upstate NY and I was just wondering, If you do spray, when is the best time to and for what?

Thanks,
PA_Docent

Re: Spraying

Post by PA_Docent »

My experience with one year old (planted) fruit trees:
1. This year I sprayed dormant oil spray on all my fruit trees before the buds broke.

2. Last year I saw yellowish-orange specks on some of the leaves on several apple trees. I immediately sprayed Bordeaux spray directly on the leaves and bark.I also sprayed on the ground in a 10 foot radius from the trunk. Unfortunately cedar rust is a problem here in south central PA. Make sure you get Bordeaux dust and mix as instructed. Be careful spraying (be upwind and/or ear a mask) Bordeaux spray, and PLEASE spray at dusk because Bordeaux dust/spray is toxic to bumble bees!

3. I noticed last summer several apple trees had curling leaves. I sprayed Bordeaux spray on them at first but no stopping the leaf roll. I searched the internet and found an article about a beetle that attacks fruit tree leaves. I bought an organic insecticide and sprayed which took care of the beetles.

4. In the late spring I found aphids at the tips of new growth and ants climbing up the trunk. I applied Vaseline/petroleum jelly near the base of the trunk that ended the stream of ants up the trees and I finger squished the aphids. At least I did not have to spray poison on the trees.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

This is a good site with a spray program: http://www.umass.edu/fruitadvisor/facts ... edule.html
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I am using the sticky red balls this year. I am happy to report my last remaining apple on Ananas Reinette is unscathed. Still 2-3 months to go before it is ripe so hoping for the best.

The balls are another story though, covered with bugs and aphids! Yippee
Last edited by PA_Docent on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
SOME IDIOT

Post by SOME IDIOT »

Wow, I never heard of stickyballs before. They look cool, I think Ill have to check em out next year.