Help! Small Grey spots on my Ananas Reinette fruit

Moderator: appledude

PA_Docent

Help! Small Grey spots on my Ananas Reinette fruit

Post by PA_Docent »

I only have one apple remaining on my Ananas Reinette and have been keeping a close eye on it. Ananas Reinette is one of the best growers in my home orchard (least amount of issues) but wondering what this new indication that I observed yesterday for the first time. The skin has grey spots that are pin head in size and cover the entire surface of the apple. The grey spots do not look like fire blight and does not resemble Apple Scab, Powdery Mildew, Black Rot, apple rust. So far this disease has only affected the apple, not the wood or leaves.

I have not sprayed this tree with anything this year; only have a red sticky ball near it covered with bugs (!). It gets full sun. It has been more humid the past week here in southern PA. The tree has had ample water to support growth. I have a ground cover of cut grass out 5' from the trunk. No other plant in the orchard has this indication.

Thank you
Last edited by PA_Docent on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
appledude

Re: Help! Small Grey spots on my Ananas Reinette fruit

Post by appledude »

Is it possible that these dots are lenticils?
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I doubt they are lenticils; not enough spots!. There are about 50 grey spots and were not on my apple all season during it's development. The grey spots have not multiplied or enlargened. Will just have to wait and see if anything else happens and pray that my single apple makes it to September/October.
Calville Blc,Hewes,Nehou,Fearns P,Siberian,Cox OP,Spitz,Ananas Reinette,BdB,Kingston Blk,Tremlett's,Muscat de Bernay,Ashmead's,Rambo,Stayman,Macoun,Jefferis,Winesap,Red Berlepsch
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

For the time being, it looks like the spots have not multiplied. The spots have grown to about 2mm in diameter but seems to have stopped. I checked the pictures of the Ananas Reinette on the OP website and it looks similar to the bottom center of the first photograph so I guess that it is normal growth!
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Update: My only Ananas Reinette apple "dropped" off the tree on Monday, 29 August 2012 by the time I had returned from work. This was the first and only apple in my two year orchard this year. It was small and heavily mottled. It was sweet and tangy. In the future when the tree is more mature and producing more, perhaps it will resemble more the description here, and my opinion will change?

I shall post pictures of the apple in another day or two.
Last edited by PA_Docent on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

this is a picture of my first Ananas Reinette apple. It was dense, squat circluar in shape, sweet/tart, and agreed that it is an apple worth keeping. It measured about 2 inches or ~5cm in diameter. Dropped off the tree on 29 August 2012.

My icon was taken while the Ananas Reinette was flowering earlier this year.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I spoke with Trees of Antiquity where I purchased this tree. The owner informed me that at least this tree bears smaller fruit when it is young. As the tree matures the fruit should be normal size (about 10cm diameter).
Last edited by PA_Docent on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I am wondering and if anyone knows, please share. In the picture of the cut apple, what are the small yellow dots seen between the core and the skin? I see this in all apples.
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

I am finding it difficult (online) to locate any information about the faint yellow dots between the core and the skin of the apple. I see these dots on all the apples I eat from the store and orchard. Next time I go to the orchard will ask there. Any ideas?
PA_Docent

Post by PA_Docent »

Finally found a site that describes/pictures a dissection of an apple:

http://appleparermuseum.com/AppleAnatomy.htm

Thanks Apple Parer Museum and Mike Viney